Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting in China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Starting in China Reply with quote

Hi. The Asian country that interests me the most is China. The certain Asian country that many people seem to begin teaching in has almost no appeal to me and I feel like I would only teach there for the money but would have no interest in learning the language and really even seeing the country. China, on the other hand, is the opposite. My question is have any of you started out in China, and how did it go? What are some of the best EFL areas in China?
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the worlds factory: China. Laughing

I would encourage you to first search the China off topic forum and work forums and than post if you have some specific questions about China in the relevant forum.

Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Starting in China Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Hi. The Asian country that interests me the most is China. The certain Asian country that many people seem to begin teaching in has almost no appeal to me and I feel like I would only teach there for the money but would have no interest in learning the language and really even seeing the country. China, on the other hand, is the opposite. My question is have any of you started out in China, and how did it go? What are some of the best EFL areas in China?

If you have a degree and a TEFL cert then google SAFEA and work your way out from there. There are about 50,000 new job openings every year for fresh meat coming off the plane.

If you don't have a degree then good luck to you - there are still lots of dodgy employers who will hire you anyway but caveat emptor .... anyone who is willing to break those laws may very well be willing to play loose in other departments as well.

mcloo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree, but no TEFL. How would that work?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
I have a degree, but no TEFL. How would that work?

US$169 on-line and done in a couple of weeks.

It is a visa requirement so your recruiter may just make use of photoshop (assuming you get a proper "Z" visa and not enter on a business visa).

mcloo7

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it better to get a CELTA or some other certificate. I've been doing searches and alot of people seem to be recommending CELTAs for China. I personally would rather not do this and would do the online course. What do you think?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Is it better to get a CELTA or some other certificate. I've been doing searches and alot of people seem to be recommending CELTAs for China. I personally would rather not do this and would do the online course. What do you think?

For China it really won't matter (as far as getting a job or a visa) which flavor/brand of TESOL/TEFL course you do. The visa requirements are a degree and a TEFL/TESOL cert.

If you plan to work anywhere else on the planet outside of China/Korea then the CELTA is king of the pack (for both quality and name recognition) followed by Trinity and the SIT cert TESOL (also respected brands).

Beyond that, the majority of employers who care (a vast number don't) will want to see a course of at least 120 hours duration with a minimum of 6 hours of observed practicum with real students (not peers on your course).

When you finally get dropped into a classroom, unless it is with young learners, you will value the extra time and money you spent on the course. Any idiot with a pulse can land a TEFL job in China. It takes something more to stay employed and happy.

mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be practical to work a year without doing CELTA just to see if you like it enough to make getting the CELTA worth it to you?
gloomyGumi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Could it be practical to work a year without doing CELTA just to see if you like it enough to make getting the CELTA worth it to you?

ttompatz has adequately answered that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: