Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to visit immigration in time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich45

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Unable to visit immigration in time Reply with quote

Hi,

I applied for the visa extension/renewal about a month ago. Unfortunately it took longer to process than last year due to the changes with the ARC that are happening, which meant immigration were busier than usual.

Anyway, I just returned to my apartment after a two week vacation to find the postcard that means my visa is ready. However, it says to pick it up between 31st July and 13th August which is now impossible due to the weekend/Obon.

So, can anybody shed some light on what might happen after the 13th? Will it be a case of starting the renewal process again? Or will they allow extra time due to the office being closed?

Many thanks,

Rich
DragonJade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt Immigration closes for the whole of Obon. Why don't you just call up and ask them what days they're open? They would never give you those dates if they were closed, right?
Apsara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the Tokyo Regional Immigration Office's FAQ page- they at least do not close during Obon. Not sure about other smaller offices.
rich45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I just presumed that everywhere closed Monday - Wednesday for Obon, but maybe that isn't the case.

I will give them a call on Monday morning and if they are open, then I'll make the trek there in the afternoon.
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich45 wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I just presumed that everywhere closed Monday - Wednesday for Obon, but maybe that isn't the case.

I will give them a call on Monday morning and if they are open, then I'll make the trek there in the afternoon.

Obon isn't actually an official holiday so they certainly shouldn't be closed. They can bloody well work, civil servants!
Apsara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of companies and institutions don't close for Obon. Lots of places have a floating summer vacation system.
rich45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I go to the Nagano immigration, there's virtually nobody there. Today was a different story. I strolled in at 11.30am and got ticket number 659, and they were only on 530. Four hours later and job done though, so thanks for the replies.

I think the majority of people there were for the changes to the ARC/resident card.
Apsara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably extra busy because of people who went today due to the Obon holiday, but no doubt mostly because of the resident card change as you say.

A friend of mine went to the Tokyo office recently to apply for permanent residence and was told she would be better off waiting until next year, when they think the rush from the change will have slowed down a bit.

I'm hoping it's not too busy when I have to go and do my visa renewal in November since I have to take my toddler with me and a 4-hour wait would be hellish Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: