Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Celta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Celta Reply with quote

Celta in America costs 2500, plus travel and accommodations, making it very expensive for me. Is there a way to do CELTA for significantly less than this. I've seen that Thailand is about a 1000 dollars less than this, but the airfare would probably negate the savings. Does anybody have any suggestions?
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, if Im going to spend the same amount of money, at least I would get an exotic vacation out of it.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a degree and an anglophone passport then fly to the region where you want to work, do the CELTA there (make connections and network while you are doing it), then get a job and go to work.

If you don't have a degree then the same advice applies but be aware that LEGAL work (with PROPER visas and permits) in most of Asia is not in the cards. Look at Central America. If you hold a UK passport
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a degree. Don't you have to be in your home country to get the proper Z visa?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
I have a degree. Don't you have to be in your home country to get the proper Z visa?

Hong Kong works if you do your CELTA in Thailand.

mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should mention I was hoping to teach in China. Did you gather that from me saying "Z visa"? I want to teach in China but may do the CELTA in Thailand because it's cheaper than doing it in the US, although airfare would make it more expensive, but it would be more convenient and comfortable with the accommodations. So are you saying that I could take the CELTA in Thailand, get a job in China, and get a visa in Hong Kong? If that is what you were saying, would I have to time the CELTA course so that its end would coincide with hiring season in China? And also, should I then not be looking into roundtrip tickets to Thailand? Thanks.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
I guess I should mention I was hoping to teach in China. Did you gather that from me saying "Z visa"? I want to teach in China but may do the CELTA in Thailand because it's cheaper than doing it in the US, although airfare would make it more expensive, but it would be more convenient and comfortable with the accommodations. So are you saying that I could take the CELTA in Thailand, get a job in China, and get a visa in Hong Kong? If that is what you were saying, would I have to time the CELTA course so that its end would coincide with hiring season in China? And also, should I then not be looking into roundtrip tickets to Thailand? Thanks.

Never been away from home eh?

Yes, you can do your CELTA in BKK and get a "Z" visa in HK for a job in China (or any of the ASEAN countries).

The CELTA in BKK is about $2100 and includes accommodation.

No, you don't need a return ticket but you will need a ticket out of Thailand (a $100 Air Asia ticket to HK fills the requirement).

Can't answer about your timing. I thought China started in Sept, this is mid August and you are still in the States (not going anywhere any time soon).

mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. One more question. Since you need a health check for the z visa, would I have to get that in Hong Kong?

Yes, China, starts in September, but I heard there may be another hiring season midyear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Yes, China, starts in September, but I heard there may be another hiring season midyear.

Language schools hire throughout the year. Universities and colleges hire for jobs starting in September (the majority of them) but some also hire people to start work after Chinese New Year (February).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: