Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the Dominican Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinparis

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: the Dominican Republic Reply with quote

Hola!

Was wondering if anyone here on Dave's has any experience teaching in the DR and would be willing to share their knowledge on working conditions, language schools, pay rates, etc.

My man has been posted to Santo Domingo for four months starting in September of 2004, so I don't know whether it's worth looking for an EFL job there or if I should just enjoy island life and enroll at a local Spanish language school (school recommendations would also be fantastic, if anyone can recommend some)

I've already combed through www.dr1.com and various language school websites (mabraska, hispaniola, etc) ... so firsthand experiences are what I'm after here...

Also, I'm not looking to make big bucks in the DR - just a way to keep practicing the EFL trade and offset expenses. Any info is much appreciated.

muchas gracias!
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: The DR Reply with quote

I'm not sure island life will be particularly enjoyable following the recent disaster there.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the news too and am not unaware of the recent flooding.

However, it didn't touch santo domingo and we aren't planning on going to the DR until September anyway.

Have you actually been there?
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: DR Reply with quote

No, the nearest I've been's Cuba.
There are some entries in the Job Information Journal by people with experience in the DR.
Alitas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've been there 3 times in the past year, and considered a teaching job. Recently a job was posted in Sosua, no where near SD, and the monthly rate was $150, which is typical. The peso is in a horrible place rightnow and teacher's wages are traditionally low.

Have you thought about the international schools there, such as the Carol Morgan School etc? Can you teach at university?

There is a new site out there called DRSol.info, which, while strikingly similar to dr1.com, will offer some fresh advice.

Working conditions for teachers can be a little rough, depending what you are used to. Schools don't have much money. Language schools employ nationals who don't seem to be fluent. There are some native speakers working, the ones I have met are doing it for the experience and not the pay, ie volunteering for a year.

EFL is popular, but a cheap industry, there. In a high school you'll travel from room to room and expect a certain chaos. In a language school, you may have classes with 30-40 students.

What else would you like to know? Perhaps I can be of more assistance.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alitas

Thanks for the website and the info.

I would prefer to teach at a university (am currently teaching at one in Japan and have also taught at one in France). However, as for universities or international schools, I haven't really thought about either of them because I'll only be in the DR for a short time.

I don't think either type of school would be interested in hiring someone only on a short time basis. (Not that language schools would either, but I think they'd be more flexible in any case). It sounds as if I should just skip teaching EFL, since the work is hard (running around) and the wages low. Is there other kinds of work available for English speakers in the DR?

Thanks for whatever info you can pass this way...

cheers
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alitas wrote:
Hi, I've been there 3 times in the past year, and considered a teaching job. Recently a job was posted in Sosua, no where near SD, and the monthly rate was $150, which is typical. The peso is in a horrible place rightnow and teacher's wages are traditionally low.

That is low.. but on the other hand, Sosua is a touristic beach area.

Seems like a small business would be better to do in the DR. Reading the DR1.com forum.. it seems like they are quite easy to setup, and many people do more of that than anything else.
chacma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any evidence of this but I don't doubt it's going on.

Last edited by chacma on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chacma wrote:
Tiger Beer, how do you get the posters name in the quote like you did with Alitas? I can only manage to get quote:

Sorry, off topic I know.

When you click on the 'quote' button in the upper right hand corner of the post.. it'll come up automatically..
chacma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date's have been set for next year.
Lilly Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Colegio Saint John need info plz! Reply with quote

I have recently received an ESL employment offer from Colegio Saint John in La Romana. Is anyone familiar with this school? If so, please share all info, pros and cons, please!

Thanks, Lilly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: