Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DragonJade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

Can I jack a job in after only a few months without repercussions, just to get into the country?

When a company sponsors you in Japan, they are telling the government that the person being sponsored is a responsible, trustworthy person. If that person ends up in trouble with the authorities, the company gets it in the neck. A few times too many and the company may loose the ability to get future people sponsored (ahem, GABA).

Your work visa is tied to the company - they are the ones who went to the expense and time to do it, and said what a good person you are. Legally, you can only work for them. If you quit, then you loose your work visa, in essence, and the company has the right to call up immigration and revoke your visa and get them to come looking for you. Unlikely, but it depends on how much you've pissed people off.

As for jumping ship and getting another contract with another company, you've got little to no chance if you've pissed people off. In order for a new company to hire you legally, they need your sponsoring company to release you from your visa. Get a release letter and you can get another job legally. The new company would have to agree to become your sponsor. Not easy as most companies don't like doing this as it's a hassle (responsibility, reporting to immigration, paperwork, getting into trouble because you caused problems, etc.), and if you just jumped from your first company after a few months, it doesn't make you look all that good either.

Don't get a release, find another job with a company that's not bothered about it and get caught by immigration, and you are in a world of trouble.

Also, think about where you're going to live. You can't find a place long term without getting someone or a company to sponsor you - usually a company. There are agencies, but they want money to do it. Rental contracts are usually for two years. If you decide to only stay a year there, you still have to pay off the remaining year. Skip out, and the sponsor will get it in the neck and will have to pay the remaining year (plus all the other costs). You'd have to think about the police in this case if the sponsor wanted their money back off you. And with a criminal conviction you'll get booted out (if you don't do time first) and banned from reentering Japan.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
JerkyBoy wrote:
GABA is hiring now.

Surely I can take advantage of this situation?

They sponsor a visa? Not sure what it says on that particular ad.

When Gaba first started out they could do visas, then they got into 'difficulties' and could only hire people within Japan who already had visas, and a year or so ago they've been allowed to do visas again.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerkyBoy wrote:

Can I jack a job in after only a few months without repercussions, just to get into the country?
Yes, you can bail out on a job. Many have done it. Repercussions:

*Your students will probably not be happy. They will just be getting to know you.
    *Your boss will not be happy. This may affect future relations with other people he hires. Think of that. It sometimes means lots of legalese in contracts.
    *It will also mean ill feelings toward people of your nationality. This may not mean much to you, but others stay here longer and will be affected.
    *It does NOT mean the employer will drop his visa sponsorship or contact immigration to revoke your visa. The visa will NOT be revoked. It is yours until it expires. Technically, if you are unemployed you have 3 months to find new work before it becomes problematic visa-wise, and I think under the new immigration regs you have to notify immigration within 2 weeks of your unemployed status, too.

DragonJade wrote:
When a company sponsors you in Japan, they are telling the government that the person being sponsored is a responsible, trustworthy person. If that person ends up in trouble with the authorities, the company gets it in the neck. A few times too many and the company may loose the ability to get future people sponsored (ahem, GABA).
Not sure what Jade meant by the "ahem", but I do know that for a while GABA was not permitted to sponsor work visas because they had forged documents to get some people hired. Their sponsorship permission is back on now.

Quote:
Your work visa is tied to the company - they are the ones who went to the expense and time to do it, and said what a good person you are. Legally, you can only work for them.
There is nothing that stops you from working for other employers. In fact, with special permission from immigration you can even work outside the realm of the work visa you have.

Quote:
If you quit, then you loose your work visa, in essence, and the company has the right to call up immigration and revoke your visa and get them to come looking for you. Unlikely, but it depends on how much you've pissed people off.
As I wrote above, most of this is not accurate.

Quote:
As for jumping ship and getting another contract with another company, you've got little to no chance if you've pissed people off. In order for a new company to hire you legally, they need your sponsoring company to release you from your visa. Get a release letter and you can get another job legally.
I believe that letter of release is only for renewing the visa, not simply getting another job. The thing you have to really worry about, IMO, is that with just a few months of employment under one's belt, what are you going to say to the next employer? Unless you have some clearcut reason for bailing out, how is that going to look? Some of the employers talk to each other, and they sometimes don't take people under this circumstance.

Quote:
Also, think about where you're going to live. You can't find a place long term without getting someone or a company to sponsor you - usually a company. There are agencies, but they want money to do it
Not always the case.

As for GABA's salary of 275,000, be very certain about that. I was under the impression that (as stated earlier) you teach (and get paid) only when you have students. They may not always be available. Be sure that GABA isn't just telling you that 275K is possible or some kind of average.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonJade wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
JerkyBoy wrote:
GABA is hiring now.

Surely I can take advantage of this situation?

They sponsor a visa? Not sure what it says on that particular ad.

When Gaba first started out they could do visas, then they got into 'difficulties' and could only hire people within Japan who already had visas, and a year or so ago they've been allowed to do visas again.

Ok, they bounce around so much, it's hard to follow em.

But also, even if they can sponsor, doesn't mean they always do. I have seen many an add for all kinds of jobs for someone already residing in Japan
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonJade wrote:

Your work visa is tied to the company - they are the ones who went to the expense and time to do it, and said what a good person you are. Legally, you can only work for them. If you quit, then you loose your work visa, in essence, and the company has the right to call up immigration and revoke your visa and get them to come looking for you. Unlikely, but it depends on how much you've pissed people off.

Completely and utterly untrue, as was the rest of your post.
DragonJade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I can't believe I was so off. Thanks for setting me straight!
DragonJade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonJade wrote:
Wow. I can't believe I was so off. The above was what I've always been told. Thanks for setting me straight!
mitsui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like you were thinking of working in Korea.
Japan is not so restrictive with visas.
Rob1209

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Gaba has changed dramatically in the last 3 months since I was researching them, I think it's unlikely you'll get anywhere near the 275,000Y per month. They operate on a pay-per-lesson basis, so to hit that kind of salary you'd need to have a full schedule almost everyday. It'd definitely take a good amount of time to build up that client base, and then factor in the intense work schedule (I believe Gaba require (or strongly encourage) you to be at work and available to teach even when you haven't got lessons arranged. So if you're at work for 8 hours and only have 2 lessons, you get paid for 2 lessons).

Don't take what I've said as gospel, most of the info I have is from internet discussion forums, but the reality is sometimes very different to the best-case-scenario advertised. Long working hours plus no guaranteed income doesn't equate to a great quality of life for me, Tokyo location or not.

I also think you're doing places like Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya a huge disservice by only considering Tokyo. I'm from the UK, and with the exception of London and possibly Bristol, I'd prefer to live in any of those 3 cities than any in the UK. Just my opinion of course.
steki47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob1209 wrote:

I also think you're doing places like Osaka, Kyoto and Nagoya a huge disservice by only considering Tokyo. I'm from the UK, and with the exception of London and possibly Bristol, I'd prefer to live in any of those 3 cities than any in the UK. Just my opinion of course.

Seconded. Nagoya is a large city and has everything that goes along with that, but it is smaller and easier to get around and a bit cheaper. Not a huge fan of Tokyo, to be honest.
rxk22

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steki47 wrote:
Rob1209 wrote:

Seconded. Nagoya is a large city and has everything that goes along with that, but it is smaller and easier to get around and a bit cheaper. Not a huge fan of Tokyo, to be honest.

TBH Tokyo is better to visit than to live in. It is just too big to get around in, and is really pricey, unless you like to commute.

I liked Sendai, and I liked Osaka. Not sure why people are so hard on living in Tokyo. I can see not wanting to be banished, but being set on Tokyo only, is kinda silly
mitsui

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Tokyo peple can make more money and it is easier to get by without Japanese.
Tokyo seems to mostly attract the people who just want to make money.

Other cities like Sedai, Kyoto,and Kobe are not as crowded and life is not as stressful.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long-time readers on this forum know, I've lived in Chiba Pref. for my whole sojourn in Kanto area. I worked in Kanagawa and Tokyo, as do some of my neighbours and friends. One of my neighbours traveled 1 hr and 45 minutes each way from suburban Chiba to a school in Kanagawa because her job satisfaction and the pay made it worth while.

I think big city people will do better in Tokyo. I'm from a relatively small city in my home country, and it has taken me 10 years to warm up to Tokyo. I'm still learning to appreciate Tokyo's good qualities.
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
In Tokyo peple can make more money and it is easier to get by without Japanese.
Tokyo seems to mostly attract the people who just want to make money.

Other cities like Sedai, Kyoto,and Kobe are not as crowded and life is not as stressful.

True, you can stay in the English world a lot easier than pretty much anywhere in Japan.

Downside, jobs pay about the same wherever you go, in the low end teaching world. So 230k is a lot harder to get by in Tokyo, than in Shikoku
JerkyBoy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that to get TO Japan, I will need to be sponsored by a firm I don't even want to work for and then the expectation is that I stay with that firm and complete the contract. Is that how it works?

All the opportunities I have seen online looked pretty shiddy to me.

In the UK, I have been teaching EAP at universities and have worked for the British Council and the like. However, I don't have a Masters degree or DELTA. Although I am very keen indeed to come to Japan, it doesn't seem like there are any real job opportunities.

Can you give me any more advice?

Last edited by JerkyBoy on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: