Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the english school salamanca

View previous topic :: View next topic  
technohater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: the english school salamanca Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have been offered a job with this school. If anybody has ever worked for them or has any info I would be grateful. Cheers.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might help if you were to tell us where it is located and what kind of school it is as well as what the offer was.

No, I personally have never heard of it.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought that Salamanca was in Spain Wink .
Phil_K

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's in Salamanca, Guanajuato.
technohater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah, it's in Guanajuato. I don't think they've been in operation very long, but if anyone has any info that would be great.
Best wishes
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Salamanca Reply with quote

Just an aside, Salamanca is an attractive town BUT- the air pollution is unbelievable. There is the petroleum refining but I think it is a pesticide factory that makes the town smell horrible. Just getting off the bus to use the bathroom or driving through with the windows of the car down is a disgusting experience. It is a prosperous place but I wouldn't sacrifice my health to live there...
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Salamanca Reply with quote

ton a bricks wrote:
Just an aside, Salamanca is an attractive town BUT- the air pollution is unbelievable. There is the petroleum refining but I think it is a pesticide factory that makes the town smell horrible. Just getting off the bus to use the bathroom or driving through with the windows of the car down is a disgusting experience. It is a prosperous place but I wouldn't sacrifice my health to live there...

No doubt there's a direct link between the prosperity and the air pollution in Salamanca. It sounds a lot worse than Mexico City was in the 1970s and 1980s.
furq1990

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as nobody here has actually worked for The English School or even lived in Salamanca then maybe I should give my view.

I joined The English School in May 2013 and stayed for 2 years. I had never taught before but Gina (the school boss from England) helped me develop in to the teacher I am today. In fact I am now teaching at one of the best secondary schools in Mexico City and would say that my time in The English School helped me get the great job I have today.

The school teaches English to kids and adults as well as to businesses in the local area. Teaching to a variety of different people I believe has given me many skills which I might not have got had I only taught in a secondary school for example.

There is no pesticide factory. I have no idea what some people above are talking about. There is a refinery but there is no smell or air pollution at all. They release gas at something like 2am - 6am but it isnt something you ever notice. Salamanca is a small city but the people living there are really lovely, like to have a lot of fun and would do anything to help you out. I have made a lot of friends there and go back and visit quite regularly when I have holidays.

Salamanca is also in a great location to see a large part of Mexico. It's about an hour on the bus from the larger cities in the state like Leon and Guanajuato whilst about 3 hours from Mexico City and Guadalajara. 3 hours travel is really good in a country as big as Mexico.

If you're a new to ESL teaching I can't say more about how good this school would be as your first job. Also if you're interested in discovering the real Mexico where most of your friends are lovely local Mexican people then again this place would be perfect for you.

One more thing. The food is incredible and I'm shocked now that I live in such a big city like Mexico City that nowhere has been close to what Salamanca can offer.

Happy to help with any more questions you might have about my time spent there.
Jenn420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have to say is that the English School is different from years ago. The founders sold the school multiple times and right now it is being managed by some people who don't have any experiences. The school doesn't provide any materials so even though you only need to work 4 hours every day at the school, the preparation time is much longer since you literally need to find everything by yourself. There are some books and realia you can use at the school but they've been used for years and the administration doesn't seem like to update them. The atmosphere is also way too relaxed, people care more about birthdays than teaching results. They expect you to write weekly report but never give you any feedback. The school in Salamanca is known for its foreign teachers but in reality many teachers would only stay for 1 month or 2, then the school would just hire local teachers. They would also sit in your classroom and take notes of your lessons despite the fact that they don't know any better. When you have questions there's no one you can consult with because there are only 4 teachers in total and other people know nothing about teaching. So the teachers are pretty important for the school but they don't care too much about keeping them. It's not a very fair system either, some teachers have way fewer students and lessons than others but everybody gets the same fixed salary. So, if you are looking for something to just spend some of your time, this is for you; if you want to actually work seriously and grow professionally, look elsewhere.
Salamanca does have a refinery and it's not something you can smell from the air but the sky is never blue. Right now I think what people concern more about is the safety issue, robbery and murder happen very often, you would see all these armed police and soldiers but still, terrible things happen all the time. In two weeks 3 robberies happened around the corner where the school is located at, which is in a very good neighborhood. Use your caution wherever you go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: