Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

buy an adapter in U.S. or in Oman?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
As for the phone- I just ordered a new gsm quad-band unlocked phone that is not for use in the U.S. It was the best I could do. But I'm not holding my breath that it will work once I land though...

As you know... I know nothing about these fancy phone thingies. Cool But I don't believe that any phone works on arrival... as I understand, you will need to get a local sim card before it works. BUT... I do recall someone saying here that you can get them at the airport???

As I said, the next question goes to the person who picks you up at the airport. This may be the best reason of all to go into the office first thing in the morning (since you likely won't be able to sleep anyway) and also check about getting an internet hook-up ASAP.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostdegaine wrote:
I'd like to butt into this thread if you don't mind and ask a question of you Skype users in Oman. I've just downloaded a VPN and Skype onto my computer here ( I already have a Skype account that I set up in the States), but when I try to log into my account through the VPN it won't do it. I just get the little arrow icon spinning in circles and then the Skype box finally says it couldn't connect. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone have an idea of why it is doing this?

Skype is blocked in Oman and the UAE. How long have you been here to just now be realizing this?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally those that had downloaded it already on computers had been able to get around the block and use it. (the block seemed to be to the downloading of the program) Others were using VPNs to get around the block and use it.

VS
lostdegaine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Skype is blocked but by using a VPN, such as Astrill, you can get around the block. My colleagues, who use Skype almost every day, have heped me resolve my problem.

However, I have now found that Google Talk works even better and is cheaper, so I think I'll stick to that and not even use Skype.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: