Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PETEK APARTMENTS, Gaziantep. BEWARE!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wander&teach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: PETEK APARTMENTS, Gaziantep. BEWARE! Reply with quote

A few observations from a soon-to-be former tenant of Petek Apartments in Gaziantep. These units are located directly across the street from Gaziantep University and mainly house students and native speakers from several local universities with a lot of tenant turnover. If you are considering living here or are asked to live here just be aware of a few conditions.

Petek is comprised of the typical bare-bones accomodations commonly found in the surrounding area with four main six-story-high buildings constructed recently. The half-commercial / residential building facing University Ave. boasts an elevator. There are also several sitting areas arranged nicely in the courtyard, a small market, and 24 hour "security." Those are the positive attributes.

As for the issues to be aware of: The complex manager, Ibrahim speaks some basic English, which you would think is a plus, but he has a fairly strong bias against foreigners and it is difficult to reason with him. This of course is completely beside the fact that initially he will promise you the world. If you question him on the lack of follow up he acts offended and defensive or simply shrugs his shoulders promising attention at a later date. It would be quite acceptable to live at Petek but for the absense of any basic management. if you are coming to Gaziantep be aware that it is also customary here to charge you for repairs regardless of how the damage occured. Rusted out original water supply line? You pay. Appliance stops working after three years and five tenants? You pay.

The complex's internet system is inadequate and unreliable especially when the student population swells. The only solution to this is a paid satellite stick from a local provider. If you do manage to use the Petek system it is monitored and has heavy firewalls.

The number of security cameras surrounding the complex and inside the buildings are a bit unnerving at first. They are located inside and out in every crevice imaginable. Crime here is basically non-existent so their function is questionable and they give you the feeling that you are being monitored.

Water sporadically pouring into your bathroom from the above bathroom units is fairly common. The latest one has been occurring daily for almost a week now with no action (see item #1). The responses received include, "Do not worry, it is clean water." and " We have asked the tenants above you to not use their shower but they continue to do so, sorry." This has to be the most disgusting of the issues I can think of.

The management maintains a flock of chickens in the courtyard area which is cute if there are adequate conditions for them. For Petek it means droppings on walkways and steps, quite an odor in the summer heat, flies, and of course the complementary crowing of the roosters outside your window at all hours of the day and night. When one building complained about the chickens, Petek management simply moved them across the yard next to another building.

Can you say CONSTRUCTION? ALL of the areas surrounding Petek, right up to the entry gates, are huge construction zones. This will not be going away anytime soon. We are talking tunnels, overpasses, a rail system, and paved roads here. This means no designation between pedestrian and vehicle areas, limited access, huge cranes and jackhammers working at all hours of the day and night, open pits and manholes, no barricades, etc. The dust pollution in itself is a hazard, and keeping anything even remotly clean is impossible now as windows must be left open in the summer heat. Pour a glass of water and a visible layer of dirt will form on top of it in five minutes.

This post is not meant to discourage anyone from coming to this area, it is simply to accurately inform you of the specific conditions you might encounter at the Petek Apartments. Gaziantep as a whole is an interesting place with a great history and story to tell. Although there is little-to-no "western type" night life here, there are many wonderful people, customs, and surrounding areas to appreciate and explore.
montague

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"windows must be left open in the summer heat"

you mean there is no air conditioning in the apartments? i am supposed to arrive there in a few weeks. i assumed with the extreme summer heat for months on end, that a/c was a given. i guess that's what i get for assuming.
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with Gaziantep? Has it suddenly become the hot spot (no pun intended) of Turkey? When I taught there, there was never a thread here at Dave's about the city.
Air conditioners? When I was at Gaziantep University, there was a grand total of one AC on the entire campus (in the President's office).
Turks (like the Chinese) don't seem to be affected by loud noise at any hour of the day. When I lived in Istanbul, a lady upstairs was having some carpentry work done in one of her bedrooms. At 11:30 p.m. the carpenters were still happily pounding away. I went upstairs to complain only to be told that it was still early, and the workers would leave before midnight.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parnett, you must come back to visit more often. Very Happy

Antep has been going thru a huge transformation in the last decade. Being the sixth largest city in Turkey, the government is pouring millions of lira into the city every year. There is hardly a place you can go where there is not a public works project in progress. From the new 10 km - 13 station light rail system to the new self-contained city 15 billion TL Antepia super housing project, the face of Gaziantep is changing quickly. Gaziantep University Hospital has just doubled in size, the University itself boasts many new high rise state-of-the-art learning centers, and a aquatic/sports complex is under construction both on campus and in town. There are literally thousands of new apartment units under construction in the University area alone. The newer luxury Sanko Park shopping mall will soon get some stiff competition from the new ultra modern Forum Gaziantep Mall.

But with change comes conflict. There is the age old struggle between the old and new. It is not unusual to see young people in tank tops and shorts now while the older residents mildly air their disapproval. Traditional simet sellers still ply the streets precariously balancing their wares on their head among
vendors hawking cell phones and satellite internet services. There are more
Efes & raki signs than you can count although drinking in public is still taboo.

As for the practical side, air conditioning is still scarce but it is available for a price. Noise is still common and tolerated well but even the locals weren't happy with the tunnel drilling 24/7 for weeks on end. There is even a restriction on the Ramazan Drummers now, although it is only followed as strictly as most other laws here. Most Turks here are traditional and very cautious of change, and having a social life as a single here is difficult as separation of the sexes is still prevalent especially with Yabangee, but there are many nice people who will welcome you to their culture and their homes once they get to know you.

Overall Gaziantep is a wonderful place. But as any good traveler knows, keep your guard up and always be on the look out for those few bad apples. Feel free to PM me.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi W&T

So as you are soon to be a former tenant of these apartments, where are you going to stay and what are the rent rates like, do you get an accomodation allowance?????
Have you met the students, what are they like?
apart from your housing problems will it cause you to leave or is the place worth hanging onto???
wander&teach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as you are soon to be a former tenant of these apartments, where are you going to stay and what are the rent rates like, do you get an accomodation allowance?????

Contract completed, new job in a bigger city. Not sure about rent rates as all of my jobs always include housing in the agreed terms.

Have you met the students, what are they like?

Being a career teacher I "enjoy" most all of my students and see each one as an individual, some more hard working than others, and some more challenging than others. I strive to give each one the attention they need and deserve.

apart from your housing problems will it cause you to leave or is the place worth hanging onto???

The housing issues were definitely a consideration in my case when considering a second year contract. My home and private time are very important to me. On the other hand, the school environment has been good and I have met many talented individuals there.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just look at those answers, you didn't have to rewrite them!! A "career" teacher no less, does that mean you live , breathe and sh*6 the job? I used to do that, couldn't switch off even after the kids had gone home and it was my time, sat in the bar at night discussing the present perfect tense til everyone got fed up and left, very sad. Now like you my time is my time, home and work are seperate departments. When some silly person wants my home number to contact me at the weekend or while on holiday I tell them I don't answer the phone or even check my e-mails.
Good luck in your new venture, don't take this job so seriously,very few do!
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always surprised at the relative lack of AC in Turkey, even in the Southeast where it's extremely hot. Especially compared to Iraq where they seem to have excellent AC most places.

Leaks are a huge problem and leaking pipes. I've even seen this in brand new buildings, it seems like a lot of places are just constructed half-assed. And the doors on the second storey that drop to nowhere, or people living in apartment buildings that are only half finished. I would really be irritated about the internet though, plenty of other places seem to have that functioning well enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: