Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools in Almaty

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Schools in Almaty Reply with quote

Anyone able to throw out the short list of decent schools in Almaty?

What are some places to check out if you are wondering about life for teachers in Kaz?

Anyone in Almaty around for coffee and the 1-2 hour "lay of the land" conversation?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jonniboy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also interested in any info about Almaty as I've a Skype interview there tomorrow. Basic info so far that I've got seems to indicate that flats in the centre go for $600 and that costs, especially for entertainment can be expensive due to there being expats on western salaries working for oil companies there.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointing response to the question. I see a few schools as I am driving around but none that look particularly interesting. Granted, it's the slow season right now but I had hoped to talk to some of them.

My sense is that costs are not too bad, the city itself seems lively and friendly with plenty of trees and fountains. The people I have met all seem pleasant and easy-going. Love the mountains, water and climate so far.

Of course, if there are no schools that are particularly interested in hiring someone that makes all the difference.

It's still on my list of possibilities for next year but disappointing that there is such a small community of TEFL teachers that I can't even find someone to buy a cup of coffee for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aridion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of Haileybury School Almaty. They have a British curriculum and are affiliated to Haileybury, UK. Could do worse. I hear they are putting a lot of work into their extra-curricular activities for pupils.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've an offer to work in Almaty and am on the verge of accepting even though it's my first TEFL equivalent of a blind date. The city has always had a weird fascination for me and I can't see any good reason to say no. Any good reasons for NOT working in Almaty?
ComradeBL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Hate I missed you, Ed! Reply with quote

Ed - I though you're in Azi...didn't suspect you here in KZ...I tend to take spurts. I'll come here 3 times in a day and not log-on for two months.

I can't say a whole lot about ALA as I'm 3 hours up the road in TDK, however, I do get there from time to time and speak a bit about the area.

ALA doesn't have a huge expat community, and the ones I meet tend to be from Western Europe or Aussie. I never run into Americans. Most work in the mining or services for expats (financial services, medical, education) industries.

Most who work in ESL get gigs by word of mouth. Everything is done under the table to avoid the authorities and taxes. I'm sure there are ESL schools in town but I only know of one.

I found ALA to be fairly inexpensive relative to other major cities. It is MUCH cheaper than TSE!

Hope this helps.
ecocks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I AM in Azerbaijan, about halfway through my contract. Love Baku as a city, don't even mind the prices very much, but the social scene is not right for me.

I took a three-week vacation to Kaz (couple of days down in Bishkek) and thought I would sniff around a bit for the future. Talked to a couple of people, including a school owner in Bishkek and have an offer of an invitation to Kaz if I wish it. Interesting, but not considering jumping my contract for it.

I loved Almaty. Trees, water in the city, the mountains (Shymbaluk was as good as some of the small ski resorts in the US, nothing I saw to be embarrassed about were all pleasant, comfortable and inviting. My vacation was pretty good all in all. Prices were reasonable but that's from a Baku perspective. The people were excellent and the society far, far easier to move around in than here in Baku. I have it down as an option for the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: