Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to expect from an interview?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: What to expect from an interview? Reply with quote

What should I expect to be asked in an interview (via skype, for a McSchool sort of establishment). Obscure complicated grammar points or are they just trying to confirm I can speak fluent English? Should I have a lesson plan to present? I've heard they may ask personal questions that would be taboo in the USA (am I married, etc.) Is that frequently true?

Any input would be lovely!
Kofola

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't underestimate McSchool interviews.

It's admittedly some time ago now, but I had a 45 minute long telephone interview where I had to describe how I would teach different grammar points, lexis, functional language etc. I was asked a question for every level from elementary up to CAE and how I would deal with behavioural issues in the classroom.

Needless to say the job wasn't up to the quality of the interview questions!!

'Be prepared for anything' is always good advice.
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's good to know, I'll definitely brush up on my grammar then!
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Never assume anything! Reply with quote

You may be asked all kinds of akward questions,give some really competent answers and presume you did well---then hear nothing!
Russian firms seem to have an annoying habit of interviewing people and give the impression that they have immediate vacancies,but then do not contact you until a few months later,presuming you will still be available etc!!Both myself and a number of other people experienced this in Moscow so beware......it seems they like to compile lists of people they can call on whenever they need them,but fail to make this clear to you when they interview you.It also often reveals a lot about how they operate and how they treat their staff:turnover is probably high?
I would also give you a personal example of a firm which did not ask me any questions about grammar or test my abilities at the interview-their attitude was more or less that if the students are happy and we don't get complaints about you then you are o.k......and they paid well and on time!No it wasn't a Mac School and I always avoided them!
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same in Spain though. The academic year starts at the beginning of October. I bunged out CVs by the bucketload around 6 September. With the exception of a few schools in the middle of nowhere, absolutely nothing, not even an acknowledgement from most of them. Then around the 20th a flood came in and quite a few contacted me throughout October and November. The worst was one which replied in early March, asking if I was free in the evenings (yes I've been sitting starving for the last half year in case someone makes me a job offer.)

In Riga, I was asked some questions about how I'd teach X, Y and Z, how I'd deal with specific problem students etc. At the end though I got the impression that even a crap interview wasn't a deal breaker as some of the people that got employed in one place I worked in shouldn't be anywhere near an ESL class.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't sweat it. Interview is usually a formality to confirm a decision the recruitment of the mac school has already made based on your CV. So long as you don't start arguing with the interviewer, use foul language, betray a total ignorance of how spoken English works, reveal an unhealthy interest in young students, mention a criminal record, sound drunk, ask about bagging girls, demand more salary, then the job is yours! Any halfway coherent answer about various basic grammar items, a previous lesson that you taught, your professional objectives for the next five years and all that lark is merely a bonus.
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i first came to moscow i was invited to 7 interviews and only got work from 2 of them. The interviews varied massively. One of them asked me loads of personal questions - why am i in moscow, do i have a wife, do i have kids etc.. Others ask loads of questions about how you would teach certain things - the 2 interviews that were professional i got work from. One invited me and they actually said they don't have a job but just were pretty bored and felt like meeting me...
Nexus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wan't IPT was it?

A friend of mine went for an interview with them recently - they fixed a time, he travelled ages to the interview and then was left waiting at reception while the secretaries sat around gassing in front of him. When the manager finally turned up, he said he was really busy and only had 5 minutes to chat after all.

The interview consisted of them asking how much he expected for 1 academic hour.

These time wasters probably give you a good idea of how work is likely to pan out should you take the job.
lechatbleu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it was via Skype, so no traveling on my part.

It was pretty low-key, they asked how I would explain/teach a few things, and a few more general "why are you doing this and why Russia?" questions, and then sent me a contract the next day.

So far so good...
ancient_dweller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skype interview! the modern age!

Nexus: nah, never had an interview with IPT so i wouldn't know.

Once I went to an interview and the woman who invited me was on holiday!!! the receptionist left me waiting in the waiting area for about 30 minutes before someone came out and told me that the woman i am waiting for is on holiday. the receptionist did behave like she should have been in the class with the 4 year olds though, dozy... Razz
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! That reminds me of when I was once cold-called by a school and asked to come in for an interview. Out of curiosity, I duly did, but was asked by more than one member of recruitment as to why I was there and what I wanted!

Ah, couldn't make it up. You have to laugh. What else is there to do? Apart from bellowing like an ox at the stupidity that surrounds you...

At least I have been spared the extreme version of said idiocy by avoiding IPT and others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: