Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle East - should I bother? Where?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Middle East - should I bother? Where? Reply with quote

Hi,

UK citizen, male, 35, Trinity DipTESOL, half way through MA TESOL, 10 years teaching (inc 1 in KSA).

Currently working in Singapore earning around US$60k per annum tax free, 20 hours contact time at Australian Uni.

Is it worth thinking of relocating to the middle east? Are salaries that much better given the sacrifices to lifestyle one has to make? If so, where?

Cheers[/list]
2buckets

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
No.
With your package, stay where you are, unless you want to experience the frustration, lack of academic integrity, hypocrisy, and lackadaisical attitude of ME students.

The only reason for you to leave Singapore is if you have an inordinate desire to chew gum.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wailing Imam:

Singapore's cost of living is high. Do you get any allowances or employer-provided benefits for transportation, housing, medical, children's education?
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

I don't get much in the of benefits, other than health insurance. I am a PR here so get the same benefits as a local. My son is Singaporean so will get into local schools, which are generally of a high standard. Housing is a pain as renting is expensive. I have bought a flat but it is still being built.
Gulezar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: No Masters? Reply with quote

Without a Masters, you might get something in KSA. Once you get your Masters, post Masters degree experience is what counts. In another few years, the EFL market may be drying up in the Gulf. We might be standing in line for jobs in the Far East!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: No Masters? Reply with quote

Gulezar wrote:
In another few years, the EFL market may be drying up in the Gulf.

Why so? Based on what data?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that this idea is based on the Qatari experiment with switching the majority of departments to Arabic. And then there is the possibility of war with Iran. So the US election might matter for TEFL education. Confused

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I'd say that this idea is based on the Qatari experiment with switching the majority of departments to Arabic. And then there is the possibility of war with Iran. So the US election might matter for TEFL education. Confused

VS

Thanks for the clarification, VS. I see there's an extensive thread about Qatar U. moving towards Arabic instruction and the elimination of the foundation program (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=94304). Certainly worth reading.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to stay put. Of course coming to the Middle East will give you a close-up view of the outbreak of WW3. Seriously........you will find it diffioocult to get a deal like you have anywhere in the GCC area.
jargonscott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
No.
No.
With your package, stay where you are, unless you want to experience the frustration, lack of academic integrity, hypocrisy, and lackadaisical attitude of ME students.

Agreed.

Nearly all of my old colleagues in the ME would drop their jobs in a heartbeat if they were offered your position (even when you consider the difference in cost of living).

Personally, I'd take a up to a 50% pay cut from my former KSA salary if it meant actually enjoying life again. It's just one of the many, many, many reasons I didn't sign a contract extension. Working a contract in KSA was the right decision at the time and it opened up a lot of doors for me. That being said, I'm beyond excited to be done working in the ME.
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: The Singapore Grip....................... Reply with quote

Stay put.............

The grass is usually not so green on the other side

..................and erm..if you need any teachers can you pm me???

Mr K

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: