Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chryanvii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: wrong jurisdiction - can visa be denied? Reply with quote

The Chinese embassy website states that you must go to the consulate office that is within your jurisdiction to obtain your Z-visa. For instance, if you are in Georgia, you must go to the office in Houston...which is Very Far!

the DC office is closer for me, and that is where all my friends live, who I was hoping to see before I left for another several years.

Has anyone had trouble with being denied their Visa as a result of going to the "wrong" jurisdiction? I have done some google searches, and even though people on this board have said that in the past they were able to successfully get their visa at another consulate office, evidently the regulations have recently changed, and the embassy has become a lot more strict about this.

Please give me some advice about this if you can, and share your experiences with me. I will also call the embassy on Monday. I don't see why you can't just go to the embassy in DC? It seems logical.

ps - Even though I currently live in Georgia, my parents have a house that is still on the market in Virginia, near DC [within the jurisdiction of DC]. Could I just claim this as my second address, even though the documentation is coming here to my house in Georgia?

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong jurisdiction - can visa be denied? Reply with quote

chryanvii wrote:
The Chinese embassy website states that you must go to the consulate office that is within your jurisdiction to obtain your Z-visa. For instance, if you are in Georgia, you must go to the office in Houston...which is Very Far!

I had a look at the Chinese consulate website (for the USA) and they say this:

Quote:
Please be advised that sending your visa application or document(s) to the incorrect office may result in complication or delay in processing or even denial of application.

There are probably situations where you can apply at a different consulate than the one that serves your area, but I imagine you'd have to inquire about that first before applying at the wrong consulate and then being rejected.

chryanvii wrote:
Please give me some advice about this if you can, and share your experiences with me. I will also call the embassy on Monday. I don't see why you can't just go to the embassy in DC? It seems logical.

Having different consulates serve different regions is what's logical. One reason this is done is to ensure a more equitable workload between the different offices. Our embassies and consulates in China have similar divisions of responsibility.

chryanvii wrote:
Even though I currently live in Georgia, my parents have a house that is still on the market in Virginia, near DC [within the jurisdiction of DC]. Could I just claim this as my second address, even though the documentation is coming here to my house in Georgia?

If the situation is anything like Canada the address that matters is the address on your driver's license or the address you use to file your income taxes. But when in doubt - ask (the consulate).
chryanvii

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: what can I do now? Reply with quote

I have tried to contact both the embassy in DC and the consulate in Houston several times, and have been unable to reach a person. I have just gotten busy signals, rings with no answer for a long time, etc.

In addition, I have written an e-mail, but not yet received a response.

Who else can I talk to about this issue? I would really like to get my visa from the DC embassy instead of Houston.

thanks.
Miles Smiles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call your congressman. He/she can give you a number for the D.C. consulate fax machine. I used to have it, but I no longer have it. It seems that the consulate has a communication problem, and it prefers to communicate by fax.
Miles Smiles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calling Travel Document Systems in D.C.. They can tell you anything the consulate can because they ferry documents back and forth twice per day. They're really good, helpful folks there.
chryanvii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. And how about if I just decide to send my materials out to an agent for the Houston consulate. Do you have a recommendation for a reliable, fast agent that is cheap?
chryanvii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received an e-mail from the ambassador with a one-word response of "ok". Do you think this is solid enough evidence for me to go all the way to DC instead of Houston?

I still can't seem to get through to the ambassador's office. It's always busy!
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought converting an expiring Z to an L would be easy compared to the other way around. Not so. The Beijing PSB expected me to produce a stamped letter from my employer--and only for a 10-day L. I guess that's part of the so called 'crackdown' on undesirable aliens.

Can anyone confirm that other cities have less rigid policies about this? I'm sure I don't need to go to HK.
barkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it is possible for a non-native speaker to get a z-visa?
Of course to work as a teacher.
LongShiKong

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barkus wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible for a non-native speaker to get a z-visa?
Of course to work as a teacher.

Of course. Happens all the time. It just depends on where you're working. Beijing lately has been ratcheting up its security measures. When my previous Z expired, they were only willing to give me a 10 day L but ONLY IF I gave them a stamped letter of release from my previous employer. The agent trying to get me my current Z insists on my original degree, not an emailed jpg. I gave him unofficial stamped transcripts but apparently even official transcripts are insufficient proof of my credentials. Ttompatz, this is only going to help the fake degree industry as even I'm tempted to going this route to save on the courier costs.
yoominho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a native US citizen. I have been teaching in Korea for almost three-years.

In order to get a Z-visa, do I have to return to the USA?

Can I do a visa run to Hong Kong?

Can I apply for a visa in Korea at a Chinese embassy?

I do not technically have a home in the USA. My home is where I am. And that is Korea at the moment. If I had to return to the USA of course that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. And I haven't a clue as to what jurisdiction I would apply for a visa in the USA because while I lived in the USA I had several addresses all over the country.

If anyone could give me some incite, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoominho wrote:
I am a native US citizen. I have been teaching in Korea for almost three-years.

In order to get a Z-visa, do I have to return to the USA?

Can I do a visa run to Hong Kong?

Can I apply for a visa in Korea at a Chinese embassy?

I do not technically have a home in the USA. My home is where I am. And that is Korea at the moment. If I had to return to the USA of course that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. And I haven't a clue as to what jurisdiction I would apply for a visa in the USA because while I lived in the USA I had several addresses all over the country.

If anyone could give me some incite, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

No, what's your visa and when does it expire? If it's good for 6 then it'll be easy. If it's good for less than 6 months, it's still possible see,
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=98343&highlight=cts

"I can help you to get a Z-working but if your arc is no longer than 6 months is a little difficult to get a visa recently.could you tell me how long dose your ARC left? And what 's your nationality ?
Wang 010-9809-4289

CTS Travel Agency"

You could also just send your passport home to your parents or use a visa agency, look here, http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95967&highlight=cts

As for visa runs, officially no you can't go to BKK or HK, but it's commonly done.
yoominho

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I have a C3 (3-month tourist visa). I had an E2, but I did a Japan run so that I could stay in Korea longer.

My main concern at the moment is whether or not I can get an L-visa from South Korea. I think that once I am in China, I can work out the specifics for a Z-visa. The school owner feels confident she can get me a Z-visa. I assume she has guanxi.

Can I apply for an L-visa from a Chinese Embassy in Korea?

Ah, I am a US Citizen. And I don't have parents as an option for help.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoominho wrote:
Currently I have a C3 (3-month tourist visa). I had an E2, but I did a Japan run so that I could stay in Korea longer.

My main concern at the moment is whether or not I can get an L-visa from South Korea. I think that once I am in China, I can work out the specifics for a Z-visa. The school owner feels confident she can get me a Z-visa. I assume she has guanxi.

Can I apply for an L-visa from a Chinese Embassy in Korea?

Ah, I am a US Citizen. And I don't have parents as an option for help.

Have you contacted CTS? Usually you need to be a resident of Korea and have 6 months left on your visa. You have neither. So you might have to use an agent and send your passport back home.

Or do a visa run to HK or BKK
MetaFitX

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 6 months left to obtain a Z-visa? I thought that was just for tourist visas? Has anyone left Korea and gone to BKK to obtain a China Z-visa recently??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 19 of 29

Jump to: