Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious request from a school

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Curious request from a school Reply with quote

I have been asked to meet the Director of a school I will no longer be working for to sign a contract covering the first half of 2012.

I find this a bizarre request. The guy seems okay, though I've sometimes got the impression that he was being less than forthright in his communications.

Does this seem strange to anyone else? My first impression is that he was happy for me to work for him without my being protected by any obligations on his part and now he wants to tidy up the paperwork at his end.

Is this normal? Due to various commitments, it will be inconvenient for me to make a special trip to do this and I'm not sure that I should. Any thoughts?
Kofola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come across this in Slovakia. I suspect it's just a case of his accountant/lawyer making sure the paperwork is in order in case of a spot check. Although I could be wrong.

If you don't want to do it, he can't force you. It might burn some bridges, but that might not matter to you - depends on whether you think you might want to work for him again or you need to keep in his good books.

If you want to do it, I don't see why you can't sign it and post it back to him rather than having to meet. Pretty standard routine for contracts. I always make sure I read them very carefully. If it's a Czech company registered in the Czech Republic make sure you understand the Czech version because that would be the one used in court rather than a translation.
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I suppose my concern is that he hasn't always been upfront in his dealings with me so I'm worried about there being something I'm missing.

Also, as you say, I think it's important to read what I'm signing very carefully and I wouldn't have the opportunity to do that in a meeting.

Could there be any disadvantage to me, if I don't do it?

I get your point about burning bridges but he seems to have a diminishing number of classes and has directed his attentions elsewhere so I don't see much coming from him in the future.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might not be anything dubious on his part for asking him to sign a contract that covered when you were working. It might for sure just be for paperwork and to have a record that you worked there. My advice is to get him on the phone or over email and express your concerns with him. Ask him why at this point he wants you sign anything. If his answer seems clear enough, then why not. It may simply to be to clear all accounting or classes. I would check with him though and then use your best judgement regarding it.
Czexpat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Westergaard wrote:
There might not be anything dubious on his part for asking him to sign a contract that covered when you were working. It might for sure just be for paperwork and to have a record that you worked there. My advice is to get him on the phone or over email and express your concerns with him. Ask him why at this point he wants you sign anything. If his answer seems clear enough, then why not. It may simply to be to clear all accounting or classes. I would check with him though and then use your best judgement regarding it.

Thanks for the input. I don't really think he would pull a fast one but, then again, I don't see why this wasn't done eight months ago and why he can't drop it off.

He's misled me a couple of times - once, to my considerable cost - and also been incommunicado when I needed to contact him so, given that I have a trip to make before September, I don't feel inclined to set aside time to make a trip to his office and then sign something I can't check.

I'll ask him about it and to send me a copy that I can translate and print.

I've just come across so many people who can't be trusted that I'm erring on the side of caution/suspicion all the time now.

I have literally dealt with only one training company that has always paid reasonably well, on time and never, so far as I can tell, lied to me or the students for any reason.

I've been lucky enough to build some hours dealing directly with students and companies and that's the way to go for me - no weird admin, no lies, no delayed payments. Nirvana!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask him how much it is worth to him! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: