Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday in Thailand (August)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeminiTiger wrote:
We also planned to visit the Indian place but my gf walked alone near there to return out motorbike helmets and apparently the guy was really rude to a pack of girls. So that is out for us.

Touts of any sort bother me, and Ao Nang has its share of them. Every place you go all the shops are selling basically the same things so why do I need to buy more of what I probably already have? I did buy one of those Ocean Pak 15 bags though. Great for going to the beach, nice water-tight seal and all. The guy that lured me into the Indian restaurant was ok with me (may or may not be the same guy you described above) and I ate there a couple of times. The food was really good . . .

As for the rest of your trip: in Bangkok consider a day trip out to the Floating Market at Damnoensaduak, or try the trip out to Ayuthaya, the ancient capital. Most hotels organize this stuff, and either one of those will kill nearly a full day. Maybe visit the MBK shopping mall at Siam BTS for your second day. It's pretty big and you can easily waste half a day wandering around that place and the surrounding area. The outdoor market at Chatuchak near Mo Chit BTS can be interesting but I think they only run that on Sundays. If none of this sounds good just check the lonelyplanet.com thorn tree for ideas or ask at your hotel.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found a few shirts around Aonang all XXL. I picked up a total of six and most of them are Thai specific. It's strange you mentioned it but we also bought two ocean-pak bags one size 10 for her and one size 15 for me, both blue. We also have matching blue tshirts from taobao for added ridiculousness, if so desired.

All of those suggestions for Bangkok sound really good I think we will do the old city as the shopping part of our trip has been good enough, but we found nothing at the Eporium suitable for me. Maybe I was just in the wrong part, that supermarket at the top is just about the most awesome ever. Tomorrow night after our flight if we have time I would like to go to the Siam, my gf says it's famous to Chinese.

Today was cloudy again, just as well as I'm sunburned, still went swimming. Headed out to dinner, not sure what to eat. Had salmon for lunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Emporium. I don't usually buy a lot in there (it's not cheap) but it is quality. The Kinokiniya Book Store a couple of floors up is pretty good, and the supermarket is very good also. I bought some hiking shoes there a few years back, still have them. Not always easy to find a 45 in these shops. Go to Sukhumvit Soi 7 (Nana BTS) and walk about 50-60 metres in. There's a nice little outdoor food court there (across from an Italian restaurant) with lots of dishes for about Bt150 each. It's also a short walk to Nana Plaza (Soi 4) where you can have a drink and a look at some of the bars. Might even see a ladyboy or two and get a photo.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

same as below

Last edited by plumpy nut on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
Touts of any sort bother me

If a Thai walks up to you and starts talking just ignore them and keep walking. Thais are very conservative and rarely will talk to a foriegner except for personal gain at the foriegner's expense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
7969 wrote:
Touts of any sort bother me

If a Thai walks up to you and starts talking just ignore them and keep walking. Thais are very conservative and rarely will talk to a foriegner except for personal gain at the foriegner's expense.

Yeah it's easy for me to do. I've been around enough of these people in various places that ignoring them comes as second nature.
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Shanghai last night, stayed in a hotel near the airport, was a piece of crap that costs 208 rmb a night. Leaving Shanghai in a grey haze back to the Suzhou countryside today was depressing. Tomorrow night we are going back to Shanghai and taking a train back to my University town. Thankfully a much less polluted place than Shanghai is.

Overall my fiancee and I had an amazing and positive experience in Thailand. We got jacked a few times on some meals and taxi rides but overall the prices were fair and reasonable, much more so than China.

It seems like Thailand, especially between Siam and Emporium is leap years ahead of anything I've seen in China. The whole country is more polite, considerate of others and drives much better.

The worst part of Thailand was customs, going in and out sucked. It was painfully slow trying to leave and over the top restrictions, every single person had to take off their shoes in order to get through and get scanned in that stupid glass tube, but the worst part was just that hour long line that only had 20 people in it at the "exit stamp" area. I almost missed my plane because I figured I could get through customs and get to my gate in 45 minutes. I had to have a guard bump us up in the queue, and I had to ask twice, to get out in time (last call).

As a side note for archival purposes only, Thai females are in my opinion no where near as attractive as the average Chinese counterpart. I'm not sure that is important, but it seems a lot of people go to Thailand for that sort of thing and I have no idea why.

The historical relics of Ayutthaya, the wonders and comforts of Bangkok and the natural majesty of Aonang. It will stay with me for a long, long time and hopefully have provided some much needed relief from the daily grind as well as insight into all things.

Thanks to everyone who gave help in this thread.

Mission Successful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: