Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insects and Japan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rxk22

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
rxk22 wrote:
In the areas with many a rice paddy, the mosquitoes will be pretty bad.

I never once, in seven years in Japan and living in small towns, saw a mosquito. Lavae & adults wouldn't survive the hundreds of thousands of frogs. If they're around then it isn't in the rice paddies!

Depends on where you are. Besides frogs don7t kill em all, as they are busy getting eaten by the birds.
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have nothing to worry about in Ibaraki.
chinchon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you that 1 minute in my vegetable garden without long sleeves and trousers will earn anybody a good 10 - 15 mosquito bites. That'll give you something to scratch!

I'm in Tochigi, and I spend a lot of time either in the garden, or in the forest or on the mountains, but I have never had a problem with Mukade or jumping spiders before now. This year we have spotted a couple of roaches, but that's only because we sometimes forget to take the bins out.

In my experience, the insects stick to plants, trees, mud and rubbish. So if you avoid all of these there shouldn't be any problems.

Saw a frog the size of a small cat the other day though. Scary! Shocked
jmatt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mosquitoes suck, but once, after a long night of drinking, my wife and I were walking home through the park next to her parents house in west Tokyo and found a huge rhinoceros beetle. Brought it home, played with it, and took a bunch of pictures before taking it back to release it. Amazing creature. Funny how they move so slow and are pretty relaxed----peaceful to be around, as opposed to the mammoth flying cockroaches I often found in an apartment I'd lived in----which would scurry hell-bent for leather once the lights came on.
funkyging

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got really lucky with my apartment and area it seems. Even though there are rice fields 5 minutes every direction i have yet to see a single mosquito,roach or spider. The apartment i'm in is brand new so zero cracks for the bugs to hide in!
ssjup81

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if most of the bugs you all are talking about are mostly fail in the Kanto area or more South because I haven't seen as many bugs as you all and I hope it stays that way. I hate bugs! They're scary! >_< I'm really afraid of spiders.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vaqueiro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hesitate to believe anyone who said they hadn't seen a mosquito in Japan, although I will concede that the populations vary by location. I lived in rural Kyushu and suffered exactly two mosquito bites in two years. I live in Kansai now, and it seems like I swat one off me every time I go outside. I assume that this is related more to construction oversights and the lack of predators than geography, though. There is plenty of standing water for mosquitos here, but a lack of space for predators like dragonflies, bats, spiders, and barn swallows to get at them. Those creatures have much more room to hunt in rice paddies, so that might explain why I didn't get bitten as much in the countryside.

There were enormous mukade in Kyushu, even in the middle of town, but I never really felt afraid of being bitten. They live in Kansai as well, but I haven't seen any large ones yet. The suzumebachi are as big as sparrows and much more intimidating, but I've never known anyone who's been stung. The huntsman spiders (or dinnerplate spiders, as we named them) are more of a hallway or parking lot sighting; I'm always happy to see them. I would say that you have less than a microscopic chance of getting bitten by one. In the fall, much of Japan is covered in spiderwebs; the large spiders that build those are also harmless to people. All in all, I wouldn't be overly concerned about Japan's insect life.

I know you're Scottish, but look at it this way: Have you been to the US, home of black widows, brown recluses, deer ticks, hornets, yellow jackets, scorpions, red wasps, and fire ants? You've got much LESS to worry about in Japan than you would there.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaqueiro wrote:

I know you're Scottish, but look at it this way: Have you been to the US, home of black widows, brown recluses, deer ticks, hornets, yellow jackets, scorpions, red wasps, and fire ants? You've got much LESS to worry about in Japan than you would there.

You're talking about basically a continent, not a single place where one could theoretically live.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Vaqueiro wrote:

You're talking about basically a continent, not a single place where one could theoretically live.

In my county alone there's about half of what's listed for the entire country, and the other half's located in about a third of the 48 states.
Haruka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a joke. I live in California and we have all of those! We also get Wood Spiders, a relative of the Huntsman. I had one on my car the other day. I figured he hitchiked down after I visited my grandparents' house. Scared the crap out of me. Yellow Jackets, Hornets, brown recluse spiders, black widows, cockroaches (little and BIG), fire ants, the works. Keep the house clean and insect bomb it once in a while and you're good. Probably the same in Japan.

Question: I heard borax kills roaches. Is this true and is borax readily available in Japan?
Vaqueiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
Vaqueiro wrote:

Fair, but all the creatures I listed thrive throughout a large portion of the continental United States. With the exception of scorpions (which are rare, but not unheard of), all of them are common in my home state.
Vaqueiro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haruka wrote:
Not a joke. I live in California and we have all of those! We also get Wood Spiders, a relative of the Huntsman. I had one on my car the other day. I figured he hitchiked down after I visited my grandparents' house. Scared the crap out of me. Yellow Jackets, Hornets, brown recluse spiders, black widows, cockroaches (little and BIG), fire ants, the works. Keep the house clean and insect bomb it once in a while and you're good. Probably the same in Japan.

Question: I heard borax kills roaches. Is this true and is borax readily available in Japan?

I'm not sure whether borax kills roaches, but I do know that it isn't easy to find here.
ZennoSaji

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaqueiro wrote:
Haruka wrote:

I'm not sure whether borax kills roaches, but I do know that it isn't easy to find here.

The info is a few years old, but would this help? Housha[/url]
Haruka

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, yes. I didn't realize you could use Borax on Silverfish, too. Now I can ask for it in Japanese. ^,^
southofreality

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzumebachi is a badass and no mistake...

http://www.earthdenizen.net/suzumebachi-the-badass-hornet-from-japan/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: