Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to Taiwan to teach?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Going to Taiwan to teach? Reply with quote

Please bear with me. I'm sure these threads pop up often. I've read some but don't answer my specific questions. Taiwan seems to allow people to teach with associate degrees so long as they have a TESOL. I have a bachelors and experience teaching in Korea.

I've read about competition and only part time hours. Does this only apply to the folks with associate degrees or everyone? I'd be interested in trying out the country but not at the cost of taking a vow of poverty and struggling to get by.

I know you have to pay your own apartment, but I'm assuming the cost of living is cheaper? Do you get any health coverage? I seem to hear it is hourly pay over there?

Are all public schools strictly B.Ed requirements? Pay seems kind of low to have all those requirements. (I don't have one but did public school in Korea.)

I've read of chain schools. Are those more likely to pay 55 to 65 TWD a month (when hourly work is totalled)? From what I've read, this seems the minimum to have an acceptable lifestyle.
52skidoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at ....tealit.com....if you haven't already and that might answer a lot of your questions.

1. I don't know much about competition these days because I have been teaching private classes for several years. But I can say that if you are over 40 it's harder to land a job. Most schools want people between the age of 23 to 35. There are a lot of people in that age group applying for jobs nowadays.

2. Check out apartments on tealit.com to get an idea of what it costs. I suppose around 400usd is about as low as as you could get if you are planning on teaching in Taipei. This being an island, food here is not cheap.

3. Most schools pay around 2,000usd a month. You could live on a thousand if you are not into going out a lot.

4. Sorry don't know about health coverage. There is a chat site called...Formosa....you might get a lot of info off that site.

5. Some pay hourly, some monthly, it works out to about the same.
Some offer part time morning or PT evening or both. Check out ...tealit... To see what's available.

6. Full time jobs at public schools require a teachers license from a first world country. But there are some schools that have loopholes, like using the PTA to pay for an english teacher, but those are few.

Most teachers get burned out on Taiwan after a year or two.Some people get along very well here. The culture here is very difficult to get accustomed to for most peolple. But I think it's just because Taipei is a big city. Teaching in others cities pays less but things are cheaper and people seem to be more friendly.

If you want a really fun teaching experience I would suggest Indonesia or Thailand.
Of course you won't be able to save any money unless you teach privates on the side, but you will enjoy your life a lot more.

Good luck
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it depends what you want.

I have spent the lion's share of my time well away from Taipei. But then, I don't need to go to bars/pubs and drink with other people who speak English. I went to college and did all of that I cared for. I always feel depressed when I'm blowing money hanging out in bars and hungover on my Weekend mornings.

So, if you want to move outwards for real adventure -- Last summer when I was interviewing, for example, Bade was a land of milk and honey. I ended up settling in Puli, where I bike 50km twice a week in God's own country and my buddies visit me on weekends for cliff diving and river swimming adventures....

I'd say, look for a contract with 24 or less contact hours per week -- try to get one that doesn't stipulate a bunch of office hours... brush off anybody who offers under 60K a month. . . there are plenty of good jobs out there.

My last one, I landed from overseas, 24 hours a week, 65K NTD + 70K of bonuses. I was a senior teacher, yes, but my newbie coworker got almost the same deal. I'd also say look outside Taipei.

Just my take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: