Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leeds Academi, Samsun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venus_de_Milo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Leeds Academi, Samsun Reply with quote

I've been offered a position at a university in Samsun working for Leeds Academi and I wondered if people have any knowledge of it.

I've seen on this site they've some positive and negative reviews but the position I've been offered is to teach adults, not children. I've tried searching online for information but my computer won't let me access the official leeds akademi site as it detects malware.

Does anyone have any experience working for them at a university in Samsun?
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with Leeds Academy, but I have lived in Samsun, so I will share my impressions of Samsun in the hope that it might be helpful to you.

Although it is the largest and most prosperous city on the Black Sea coast, it is still a fairly traditional and conservative place. The university gives it a fairly young vibe but entertainment, especially for women, is limited. I am guessing that you are female. When I lived there, admittedly a few years ago, women were never seen in bars etc. It is developing all the time, there are cinemas there, I think there is still a bowling alley too.

On the positive side, you can eat well and comparatively cheaply. There is a big sandy beach too. It is a very authentic part of Turkey, with little tourism.

Towns along the Black Sea are fairly spaced out so be prepared to travel at least a couple of hours in either direction to find anywhere of interest. Sinop is about 2 hours west of Samsun and supposed to be very nice. Also inland you can visit Amasya, a historic town on a river with ancient tombs in cliffs, and pretty traditional architecture.

Summers are very hot and humid, winters can be snowy and icy.

Good luck and sorry I can't give any info about the school.
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsun is indeed cheap. I was surprised by how inexpensive the Karadeniz region is compared to the rest of Turkey, and Samsun is undoubtedly the cheapeast place I've been in the country. It's also an up-and-coming city. It's both rather lovely, rather run-down, and rather developing all at the same time. If you cross the river on foot, you'll see friggin' giant trash heaps, while you can also see a modern metro, construction everywhere, beautiful parks, and a city that bustles at night. The climate is indeed extreme by Turkish standards, but still quite mild by the standards of New England, where I come from.

But the real question is whether you should take that job, and to that I must ask:

1. Are you happy with the pay and hours?
2. Will they get you a work permit? I definitely wouldn't advise working illegally in Samsun (but then I wouldn't advise it anywhere in Turkey and especially outside of Istanbul, Ankara, and Izmir, I'd advise strongly against it).
3. Keep in mind that because it's not a touristy region, there are almost no foreigners there, and not even many Turks who aren't from the Karadeniz region. It's not conservative in the sense that it's particularly religious for Turkey, but it is quite insular. I recall seeing a group of tourists excitedly taking their pictures at all the sites, and they turned out to be from Sinop, and (amazingly to me) this was their first trip to Samsun. As tt said, Samsun is two hours from Sinop and the largest city in the region, yet they were in their 30s and had never been before. That's how insular that part of Turkey is. So you may want to be sure that your school will be there to support you in dealing with banks, phone companies, government and whatnot.

Regards,
~Q
Venus_de_Milo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of your advice- I feel like I'm being rushed along a bit beause they want me to be there and start in less than two weeks Confused
Sirens of Cyprus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can you rent an apartment for in Samsun?
Qaaolchoura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirens of Cyprus:
If you have an employer, they should help you with this. If you don't have an employer, I'd recommend checking out the Efes Otel for a couple nights. You should be able get a room for 30 lira/night (you might find the toilets a bid odd but for the price it's totally worth it). You can then look for an apartment through the normal routes, though these mostly involve speaking Turkish, and unless you have an employer, I don't see why you would.

Regards,
~Q
tarte tatin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at Sahibinden.com, you will see there's plenty to rent in Samsun in the 400-550 TL range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: