Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering Thailand, seeking advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveler106

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Considering Thailand, seeking advice Reply with quote

I'm considering coming to Thailand to teach ESL. I have a bachelor's degree, a TEFL certificate, and five years' teaching experience.

I prefer to teach motivated, college-age students in a professional environment. I would like to teach at a university, if that's an option with my credentials, or a high-end private school. I am not looking for short-term work.

Can anyone give me advice on what I can expect from Thailand? Particularly on where I should apply (and how), what kind of wages to expect, and cost of living?

Thank you
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should go through this below before considering coming to Thailand to teach.

How stressful is teaching ESL in Thailand?
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=88577
traveler106

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about opportunities for someone who is not new to teaching ESL? I looked into teaching at a university, but, unfortunately, they don't pay very well.

I am considering other countries as well, but a very close friend of mine, who also has a lot of experience teaching ESL, wants to come to Thailand and it would be awesome to live in the same city as my friend, again.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prioritize what is important to you.

Universities are amongst the lowest paying jobs in EFL in Asia and Thailand is no exception; on the order of 25k thb/month with no benefits but there is lots of eye candy on campus. You may be expected to be on-campus for 40 hours per week even though you may only teach 9-12 hours.

Public (K-12) schools pay around 30k.

Private (K-12) schools pay around 40k.

Language academies (after school/weekends) pay around 40k.

Better bilingual schools (K-12) pay around 50-60k

Better international schools start at 60k and at the top end peak at about 130k plus a full benefit package but you work hard and it is work with kids. These jobs are highly competitive and require certification as a teacher AND experience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeminiTiger wrote:
plumpy nut wrote:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=88577

Wow that was a little bit shocking and makes most of the China rants a bit tame. It seems that costs / salary ratios in Thailand don't get anywhere near what you can do in China.

I've been reading other parts of this forum lately and it seems a lot of posters think the country they're currently in is the worst for ESL and for living in general. What else is new?
traveler106

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Mongolia has -30 C winters, bad food, bad public transport, and locals who are often hostile to foreigners. I can live with all that, but what's making me start to consider somewhere else is the rising cost of living, particularly rent. An old apartment with minimal furniture in a dilapitated building will run you at least $500 a month plus utilities (another $50 to $100). That's too expensive for a city that already has few redeeming qualities.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traveler106 wrote:
Well, Mongolia has -30 C winters, bad food, bad public transport, and locals who are often hostile to foreigners. I can live with all that, but what's making me start to consider somewhere else is the rising cost of living, particularly rent. An old apartment with minimal furniture in a dilapitated building will run you at least $500 a month plus utilities (another $50 to $100). That's too expensive for a city that already has few redeeming qualities.

I agree... but in BKK or other tourist towns in Thailand the story is the same.

Get out of BKK and the picture changes. I live in a 3 bedroom/2 bathroom townhouse with all the mod cons (including aircon in all the rooms) and only pay $100/mo for rent but the utility bills are another matter (electric can run $150/mo with up to 3 A/C units running).

flow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I prefer to teach motivated, college-age students in a professional environment."

Ummm...in Thailand? Nah, if you're really into "doing the job right" and are seeking "motivated" students and supportive school owners then.......better go elsewhere. You wouldn't like Thailand. In Thailand, it's fun and games first, learning the language second. I have taught English in Thailand for years and for me it just wasn't an interesting experience, for the same reasons that many in here have already mentioned in their posts.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: