Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

moral majority?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
technohater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: moral majority? Reply with quote

Just wondering how/easy hard it is to work illegally in Mexico city?
I lived in the U.S and that was the only way to get a job. I admit that was in a more 'unregulated' industry like construction and bar work.

I would rather work legally of course, but getting my qualification an apostille and so forth is taking an act of government to get done

Just wondering if it is that common?
Appreciate any info. Thank you.

Cheers
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite easy to do here.

It should also be noted that it is just as easy to work legally. It just takes a trip or two to immigration and a few key documents (on this end in Mexico anyway, despite the red tape you're getting on your side of the border).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
notamiss

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow up on what Guy said, what is the �and so forth� that is giving you trouble? Once you are through that, the hard part is done, and what is left to do in Mexico is the easy part, so it�s well worth pursuing it to the final goal.
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts,

I've known a few people who worked illegally in Mexico. Like Guy and notamiss said, it's easy to do--the ones I knew personally were not credentialed in anyway other than being native speakers. So that's why they didn't persue legal status.
Like Guy and notamiss said, it's not that difficult on this end to get the proper visa.
What country are your credentials from? And where are you now? Those of us who have been around a while might be able to offer some tips to ease the apostille process along.

For example, I once knew a British fellow who was in the US and did not want to return to England to get his apostille before coming to Mexico and didn't feel like he had someone back in England that he could trust to go through the process for him. So he got a US apostille on his British degree! How you might ask? Well in the US there are (at least) two sorts of apostilles. And they are both issued by States rather than the federal government. The first one, the one that makes sense is the state that is home to the institution where you got your degree authenticates that it's a true degree from a true institution. The second sort is that the state authenticates that the notary who signed a notarized photocopy is a true notary in that state. I know many Americans (myself included) that have gone this route to get an apostille on a degree from a state other than the one they were in. So when I had this Brit coming from America to work in need of an apostille, I suggested it to him. He knew it might not work, both in getting the Apostille and in getting immigration to take it, and if that was the case agreed to wait to start work while he sent his paperwork back to England.
But it worked. A Florida Public Notary made him a notarized copy of his British degree. Then the Florida Secretary of State issued the apostille staying that the notary who signed and stamped the copy was a real Florida notary. And immigration didn't even blink. Now that was back in 2002 and it was a risk then, it would still be a risk now.

Oh and btw--the guy was in the US working construction (renovation) illegally.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option is to get a cheapo certificate in Mexico, then you won�t even need an apostille. I have heard the TKT will suffice as a cert. It is not likely that you will get caught, but it is possible. I had mega problems with a former employer using my tax ID to cover up his illegal employees, and in the process trying to straighten that mess out, I had to tell them why he was using my tax ID and he, in turn, cut some kind of deal and turned in his illegal employees. At least one of them was going to be deported, and decided to leaved the country instead. Another case I know of, with another institute, was that a disgruntled employee turned in the Institute for having illegal employees and as a result there were problems for all involved. And, just out of curiousity, why do you think it is OK to go to another country and work illegally? Especially one where it really is quite easy to work legally.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have heard the TKT will suffice as a cert

The only problem with the TKT is the time it takes to take the test and get the certs...that can be several months wait. I took this test and waited 6 weeks for the test date, then another 3 months to receive the certificates. Otherwise, a good plan though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other Mexican based course, other than the TKT is a good option. Even a short course. The school will (likely) care more about your past experience and other qualifications and a weekend Mexican issued cert should cover immigration--but not always it depends on what kind of school you will be working for.
technohater

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for offering your advice. By the way bad eagle, I did say I would prefer to work legally
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought she was a Beagle, not an Eagle! Wink

Chichiacualli, ahmo Cuauhacualli Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: