Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expats in Kaohsiung
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Expats in Kaohsiung Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Expats in Kaohsiung Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
melysnl wrote:
Hi. Are there expat areas in Kaohsiung? I just moved to a village on the outskirts of Kaohsiung and Tainan and would like to know where I can meet westerners in either Kaohsiung or Tainan.

If you haven't done so already, consider subscribing to the following Yahoo Groups: Tainan Bulletin and Kaohsiung Living. Both are active groups and have lots of info about expat activities.
Agreed. Kaohsiung Living was how I found my third main job, where I stayed for over a year. It was also how I bought my surfboard and the laptop I'm using right now. And how I found a replacement teacher when I moved to Japan.
melysnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Taiwan was by far the hardest adjustment."

I'm beginning to adjust little by little. I was not anticipating such a difficult transition. I came here from Vietnam and glad I made the switch, but there's expats galore in Vietnam and virtually none in comparison here. I've managed to meet a few more in the past few weeks. I appreciate the feedback on this thread. At least it's not just me. Taiwan is a challenge! BTW, I'm female and one's things for certain, no matter how much I adjust/assimilate, my love life will suffer like no other time in my life. I'm bracing myself for THAT now more than anything.

I'm glad to hear that you like Japan. I LOVE Japan. Beautiful country, beautiful people. Cheers!
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
fledex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived off and on in Kaohsiung for many years, 1989-2005. Expat community organizations never seemed to be able to take off there. Many of us tried to start things up over the years. They usually stayed small, and came and went. Even the American Chamber of Commerce has a hard time there, not to mention that other countries chambers were non-existent. A few people with the French Alliance used to meet regularly and help people with French language and culture. I think that was due in part to the subway system going in with a lot of French engineering support. Usually, I met other expats through friends I already knew and had to make an effort to meet with people regularly for a chance to talk about things back home. Otherwise, I was mainly socializing with locals.

Must be harder for expat women. In 1989, I knew of only two female expat English teachers. One was Karen Hess, who only visited Kaohsiung occasionally to watch over the school she had started there. The other was an American woman working for Hess. She didn't stay there long. Pig and Whistle used to be a pretty regular hangout for expats.

It's funny to think of an expat woman living on Chijin Island. That must be a novelty for the locals there. I'm sure after some time, all the locals will recognize you. I used to take my students from Sun Yat Sen University there to walk around the ruins on the hill and talk with the fishermen. Some areas of the Island are nice, but I never thought of it as much of a swimming beach. The one at the university used to be better.
Forumosa Maoman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncaraway wrote:
You might also consider checking out Forumosa and iTainan. Of the two, Forumosa is the most active website/discussion forum, though it seems most folks there are in Taipei.

I think that Taiwanease is the site that seems to be getting more traction island-wide. One of the cool features there is the directory. You want to find stuff in Kaohsiung, just go to Taiwanease Directory, Southern Taiwan, All Categories. Cool

And if there's a place that should be in the directory but isn't, you can add it here.
dr. caligari

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, three, on Kaohsiung living! Go to Dreams and Lamp nightclubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: