Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Portugal to Oman - request for advice on qualifications

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctorzee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Portugal to Oman - request for advice on qualifications Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a BA (Hon) in English and a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (English 1st and 2nd language teaching) from Rhodes University in South Africa. I also have the CELTA and 8 years experience teaching in Poland, Germany and Portugal.

I have taught Cambridge exams- FCE, CAE and CPE groups, as well as IELTS. I am now working at a state university in Portugal where I have recently co-written a medical English textbook for use at the Medical Faculty. I have done some curriculum design, placement testing and teacher training. I was also Assistant Director of Studies during a British Council Inspection at a summer school in England recently so I have some idea of what high-standard language courses should look like.

I have just finished the first year of a Masters in Education (Applied Linguistics) through the Open University and will start the second year in October this year.

I would like to move to the Middle East in June next year and would like to know if I could find decent, reliable work in Oman with my background.

Please let me know where I should apply. Is it a good idea to go with recruiters?

Thanks

Dz

Last edited by doctorzee on Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather depends on how you define "decent and reliable." Smile First I would try to confirm that MAs from this university are recognized. Second, they may not consider your MA until it is official and in hand. Third problem is that they often require X number of years "after" the MA.

I'd say that you have good experience and shouldn't have too much difficulty getting a job as most of them don't require an MA. (But, it can raise the pay level.) The best employer is Sultan Qaboos University and it is also pretty competitive. They also direct hire.

Most of the jobs are with the Ministry of Education or Ministry of Manpower and are all recruiter based jobs spread around the country. For these, you need to research the situation at that time.

The reality is that the first job will usually be more difficult to get... and probably won't be all that great. But, once you have a couple years of experience with Arabic speakers and the Middle East system, it is easier to get the better jobs.

VS
doctorzee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your considered advice. I am prepared to work hard and adapt. I will also make myself available for any extra training that may be offered, such as becoming an IELTS examiner.

Is there any way that I could be given some form of package with these qualifications that would enable my wife (we are married) and child to accompany me?

Interestingly the Open University is one of the only British universities to be accredited in the United States. I don�t know how this would affect its standing in Oman though.

http://www.ouworldwide.com/accreditation.asp
doctorzee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the best time to approach employers in Oman? I assume they start in September.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With an MA, all university level jobs provide family status. It is a standard benefit to provide your wife and up to a couple kids tickets... plus an education allowance for schooling.

This may not be true of the recruiter jobs. You will have to discuss this with them if it is not clear on their advertisements. The recruiter jobs run ads all year because they tend to have lots of turnover... basically caused by poor vetting.

Your 'catch' is that most hiring by the top employers is done in the spring... and your MA will not be complete. But apply and see as soon as they start advertising for Sept '13 starts... just after the first of the year.

VS
(BTW... don't expect much in the way of professional development possibilities in these Oman jobs. Perhaps a little at SQU if you can manage to get in there some day. Little use for an IELTS examiner as most of them are too low to even register a grade. Laughing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: