Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abu Dhabi University?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GulfProf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Abu Dhabi University? Reply with quote

Abu Dhabi University is advertising for an admin position I'm interested in applying for. I don't live in the UAE and have been working at another university in Kuwait for the last seven years. I remember back in 2004/05 when I first came to these boards to learn about universities in the Gulf, there were very dramatic opinions posted at the time that Abu Dhabi University should be avoided at all costs. I see nothing at all written about them in the last two years. Does this suggest that things are going well there?

I'd love to leave Kuwait and move to Abu Dhabi but am not in any hurry to leave my current position, which I've been generally very happy in for these seven years, if I'd be moving into a bad situation.

I'm eager to hear what people in the know have to say.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the negativity here related to the EFL area, and there was a revamp of the management and things have been quiet ever since. But, it certainly was a disaster for its first few years. Cool

I assume that you are looking in a content area? It is hard to learn the situation in the various departments here because we TEFLers often have no idea what is going on "up there."

The only real comment that I could make related to the content areas are that this is a second tier institution, so your pay and benefits may be less than the UAE average for your status. If I was 'happy enough' with my current position in Kuwait, I would probably prefer to apply to a place like AUSharjah, UAEU, or Zayed U... otherwise it could be a step down professionally speaking. (and a matter of 'better the devil you know') You might also want to keep an eye on openings at SQU in Oman.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: