Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I move to Dohok, Kurdistan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiningstar21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Should I move to Dohok, Kurdistan? Reply with quote

I've had an offer from a school called Headway International Educational Insititue in Duhok, Kurdistan.

I can't find much on this language centre, which worries me. Has anyone heard of them?
topshop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: worried Reply with quote

you have answered the question yourself. In the wicked world of tefl if it is too bad to be true......then it sucks
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People reading this do not know ANYTHING about you or your circumstances. I suspect no one knows about Dohok in Iraqi Kurdistan either !

Your question is a bit like posting, " Do you think I should have eggs and toast for breakfast ?"

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
People reading this do not know ANYTHING about you or your circumstances. I suspect no one knows about Dohok in Iraqi Kurdistand either !

Apparently, the OP has a degree (subject unknown), is currently completing a 130-hour TEFL cert, and has "a litte teaching experience" adults and children. Thus, the reason for his/her anxiety.

And I too know nothing about Headway International Educational Insititute or Duhok, Kurdistan.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about Headway International Educational Institute in Dohuk. However, I passed through Dohuk several years ago on my way from Mosul, which is about 45 miles away. It was little more than a village then !

In the summertime the people of Mosul often used to come here as it was cooler being at an altitude of about 2,000 feet. There is a mound containing the vestiges of an Asyrrian fortress. That's all I can remember.

The roads in this area snake along sheer mountain walls and through narrow gorges. Luckily they were relatively well maintained. The rugged landscape, with fir trees, cypress and maple groves, is a paradise for hunters : wild boars, wild goats, hares and porcupines - I was offered porcupine for dinner by the local Christian mountain people.

Maybe it has totally changed now.....
Mikalina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dohuk in Kurdistan (which I know very well) is not the best place for your first teaching assignment.

Competition is growing in this town which is rapidly filling with refugees from Iraq. There are A LOT of cowboys.

Headway has been there for some years and are well established. Having said that, you would be very much alone is sorting out many things. 'You' outside of the classroom are not important and, for all intents and purposes, do not exist.

If you are female, my definite advise is not to go. Why would a female want to go to Dohuk alone - aaah, a prostitute, of course.
babur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: dohuk Reply with quote

written a while back but nothing's changed much
http://theowlarchimedes.blogspot.com/2008/10/duhok.html
Redcar24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Headway Duhuk Iraq Reply with quote

Teachers Beware

The Owner of Headway Institute has used and thrown three American teachers in the last two months as well as not paid them properly and guess what??? The accommodation is disgustingly poor and no Contract!!!

work 6 days or 7 days a week......
babur

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Kurdish private schools Reply with quote

Stay well away from the privately financed schools and colleges in Kurdistan. Pedagogical prostitution. Don't be fooled into thinking you're helping the education system get back on its feet or "making a difference". The only difference you'll be making is topping up the owner's bank account abroad.
citadel

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived and worked in Kurdistan and loved it. I am hoping to return some day.

I lived in Sulaymaniya, locally know as Suly. I was told that Dohok is popular for a holiday weekend but not as welcoming as Erbil or Suly.

I would check out other cities, such as Suly or Erbil in meantime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: