Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which type of FM3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etoile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Which type of FM3? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering if anybody can offer some advice about getting a working visa. I've been here 4 weeks and seem to be picking up some business english classes here and there. I want to start the visa process but i've been getting conflicting advice.
The first interview I had suggested that I get the independent visa, he advised this was an easy enough process and that I could get an accountant for about 150pesos a month to do my taxes.
The next 2 interviewers suggested sponsorship, they would write me a letter for immigration. However, if one school sponsors me for my visa shouldn't I be only working for that school?

How easy is it to get the independent visa? I have my degree in languages (not English) and a CELT cert. Is this enough?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The independent visa is easy enough to get, and I think you can use either the CELTA or your degree, though whichever you use needs an apostille if you don't have that already.

Sponsorship ties you to a single employer...fine enough to do if someone is offering full time work but if you plan to pick up business English hours from more than one place, the independent is probably better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an employer INSISTS on you having a sponsored FM3 (unlikely), you can always apply later for ampliaci�n de actividades, giving classes on your own account with only a letter of intention to back this up. The two can exist side by side. And both can be changed, or dropped independently. In my experience though, the independent status is accepted by most, if not all, employers, as they are only interested in the fact that you can work legally in Mexico.

Sometimes, they are not even interested in that, but that's another story...
etoile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I think i'll go for the independent. I had a look on www.inm.gob.mx/ but couldn't find a lot of information.
http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/tramites/Internacion/Trabajo/Estancia_temporal/VisitanteProfesional.pdf is this it?

It says something on that form about a letter of intent and an interview. My spanish isn't very good, i'm sure I could get someone to help with the letter but do I have to do an interview aswell?

Do I just go to immigration with these documents oris there anything to fill in before hand?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hold an independent FM3 and have never had an interview...but mine is classified as Tecnico o Cientifico, within the same grouping of Estancia Temporal. The Profesional title you linked is what you get when sponsored by an employer.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/tramites/Internacion/Trabajo/Estancia_temporal/VisitanteTecnicoCientifico.pdf

Hmm...looks like they have changed this checklist a bit. It seems to ask for a contract or proposal. I'm due in next month for a renewal...guess I'll find out if it has changed as I've never seen this before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy, I don't know that it'll matter. When I renewed, all that was required was the last three monthly tax declarations. These show you are actively engaged in the work you were given permission to do, and that should be enough.

When I first applied, I presented my credentials along with list of students who said they wanted to study with me, privately. That was enough to get the first independent FM3. I've not seen any changes to the law that would complicate an otherwise uncomplicated procedure.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tretyakovskii wrote:
Guy, I don't know that it'll matter. When I renewed, all that was required was the last three monthly tax declarations. These show you are actively engaged in the work you were given permission to do, and that should be enough.

When I first applied, I presented my credentials along with list of students who said they wanted to study with me, privately. That was enough to get the first independent FM3. I've not seen any changes to the law that would complicate an otherwise uncomplicated procedure.

When I renewed my FM3 independiente in the spring, they only wanted to see my most recent proof of payment of monthly taxes. As usual, things are done differently in different INM offices.

When I first applied for my FM3 5 years ago, I only had to present my credentials. Nothing was said about providing them with a list of potential students.[/i]
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I first applied for my FM3 5 years ago, I only had to present my credentials. Nothing was said about providing them with a list of potential students.

And it's entirely possible that my presenting this list with my original application was an example, on my part, of overkill. I did that, along with including letters of recommendation from former clients, to establish my bona fides in Mexico; again, probably not necessary to have done, at all.

Because the independent status is virtually unheard of in this jurisdiction, unlike Mexico City where it seems much more common, I wasn't confident of success in the application process and went overboard with supporting documents.
etoile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just want to check that this is the form I'm supposed to fill in http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Solicitud_de_Internacion

It's the only form I can find but it seems to be more for a Mexican person to sponsor a foreigner for a visa?
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I think you're on the right track.
etoile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went to Immigracion today and this is the information she printed for me
http://www.inm.gob.mx/static/tramites/Estancia/Actividades_diferentes_a_las_autorizadas/Cambio_de_caracteristica_No_Inmigrante/Visitante/CambioCaracteristicaNoInmigranteVisitanteOtros.pdf

which is different to what I posted earlier and the link Guy posted but I did explain to the lady in immigration that that I was an english teacher and wanted to work independently.

So I'm going to fill out this form http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Solicitud_de_Estancia and head back on Monday.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that looks like the right one...section 3 asks you to indicate what it is you plan to do in the country - which for me had been a letter written in Spanish as to what my lucrative activities are.

It is now listed as 'Other' under 'change of visa characteristics'? Wouldn't have thought to look for it there for a first time FM3.

So yes, you complete the Solicitud de Estancia first, and pay the initial 550 pesos fee. Then you complete the form at the link she printed for you and pay the second fee - 2,356 pesos for the 'lucrativo' status.
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, how anybody is supposed to figure that stuff out the first time through....

Looks like you've got him sorted out now, Guy. I was wrong about the page he should be on.
etoile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about this but do I need to have my documents translated? If so how do I go about doing that?
notamiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should tell you if you need any documents translated. For an official translation, the translation must be done by a perito traductor certified by the state you are in. If they do tell you that you need translated documents, ask if they have a list of peritos. If not, look for one in the yellow pages (secci�n amarilla http://www.seccionamarilla.com.mx/).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: