Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa...Please help me, I don't want to leave Russia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandiegoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Visa...Please help me, I don't want to leave Russia Reply with quote

Hello Everybody. I have been in Russia for 7 months now on my first teaching abroad. I love teaching and I love Russia. The only problem is that I work for one of the "McSchools" and I want to leave. I have a 1 year contract. I also have a 1 year Visa. Does anybody have any suggestions how I can extend my Visa? Do I need to work for a school to have them sponsor me(I prefer teaching on my own)? My girlfriend and I are considering getting married and then I will stay in Russia. Does anyone have any advice if I go the marriage route? I am not in Moscow and everything I read says I need to go to Moscow to make it official. If I get fired or quit, Does my VISA expire? Thank you to everybody for your help, This living abroad and in Russia is new to me and I do not want to leave.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you terminate your contract your visa is still valid until it expires, no matter what the school tells you. Once it does, you can get a business visa in Kiev or Vilnius until you find a more permanent solution. I would call this Moscow agency to go over your options: http://www.rusvisa.org/

Ask for Vadim. He speaks English.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching on your own: not really legal and certainly not something you can get a visa for. Why not get a job with another school and ask for a limited number of hours? That way, you get a legitimate visa and you'll have time for outside activities.
adey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he marries he can stay without a Visa though right?
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adey wrote:
if he marries he can stay without a Visa though right?

Wrong-he would still need a visa. Marriage does not grant residency, just the right to apply for residency outside of the quota. Takes about 6 months to get residency, depending on location. Would still need a multi-exit visa after this.

So, either get a new school + visa and apply for residency after marriage or get married now, apply for residency and if he needs to get a new visa before the 6 months is up then a visa run to another country - check with Vadim at the link already given.
macedonianmike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stated above, find a new school that will give you a visa invitation while you're still in country, then leave, get it, come back. Business visa route isn't really worth it unless you live near the border because you have to leave every 3 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: