Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Chiang Mai? Jakarta? Kuala Lumpur?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GonnaBe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Teaching in Chiang Mai? Jakarta? Kuala Lumpur? Reply with quote

Is teaching in Chiang Mai any better than in BKK? It seems to be a lovely place? Are there jobs teaching adults? What about specialization such as American Law?

I know this is not the right forum, but how does CM compare with Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur?

I am getting a TESL certificate from UC Berkeley and then looking for teaching experience -- voluteer is ok as long as I have housing. Thoughts?

Is there "summer school" in any of these countries?

Many thanks!

GB
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Chiang Mai? Jakarta? Kuala Lumpur? Reply with quote

GonnaBe wrote:
Is teaching in Chiang Mai any better than in BKK? It seems to be a lovely place? Are there jobs teaching adults? What about specialization such as American Law?

I know this is not the right forum, but how does CM compare with Jakarta or Kuala Lumpur?

I am getting a TESL certificate from UC Berkeley and then looking for teaching experience -- voluteer is ok as long as I have housing. Thoughts?

Many thanks!

GB

Chiang Mai would be a lot better than Bangkok or Jakarta. Kuala Lumpur I have no idea. Getting a job in Chiang Mai without any experience is not going to be easy. Also for any job in Thailand you will in most cases have to be in Thailand to land the job. They are not going to hire you when you are overseas.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Chiang Mai? Jakarta? Kuala Lumpur? Reply with quote

GonnaBe wrote:

Many thanks!

GB

There IS summer school - It runs from March through May.

There probably aren't any jobs teaching American law (in English) in CM.

Are there jobs teaching adults = yes. IELTS and TOEIC prep are common.
You will also be competing with 2000 others who want the same thing (teach adults in CM). You'd better be handsome and young with blond hair and blue eyes (eye candy for the clients).

Why in Ghod's name would you "volunteer" as a teacher in CM? Whoever you are "volunteering" for will certainly not be "donating" your services.

Get over your ideas of a "working holiday" in CM and move 100km in any direction. Get a paid job. Finding a paid job is about as difficult as finding rice.

BKK (metro - 10 million souls,) KL (metro - 7 million souls), and Jakarta (metro - 10 million) are in the same category as the other mega-cities in SE Asia. CM (metro - 900,000 souls) isn't even in the same ballpark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: