Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rude gringoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaaronson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: rude gringoes Reply with quote

Here`s a good one to chew on

What was the most embarassing thing a fellow compatriot has done in Mexico?

When I was in D.F. 5 years ago, I palled around for a while with a fellow American who told me one day she boarded a bus to Santa Fe and asked the passengers sitting up front if they would go to the back of the bus because she wanted their seat!!

She told me the incident to elicit my sympathy as she was given the cold shoulder by her invitees and was still smarting by their "rudeness".

Okay, people, can you top that? I am sure several of you can.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I can top that...

I took my step-father from DF to Acapulco by car many year ago, on his first visit to Mexico. When we arrived and were driving down the main strip opposite the beach, he unrolled the window and in some weird form of beach glee started shouting at all the bikini-clad women we passed with 'ay, mamasita, mamasita!' With my own mother in the back seat, it just came across as all the worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have told this story before, but maybe not. My husband has a business in an area that is frequented by tourists. While the vast majority of his clientele are Mexican, an occasional tourist does wander in. A few years ago a couple came in, the woman bitterly opposed, saying the place "looked dirty", was full of Mexicans, and she didn't want to get sick. Well, apparently the man won, as they came in an had a seat. She complained about the menu, her biggest complaint was that it wasn't in English. She complained about a few of the taco offerings, saying that she didn't like this or that filling, and that some of the dishes were "weird". Finally, they ordered, their food came, along with another round of complaints. All the while, I was sitting in the corner making up some menus. Those of you who know me know, that while I am not blonde, I am also not particularly dark, but apparently it never, ever occurred to her that anyone in the place could possibly speak English. But it was pretty obvious from her tone and manner that she was not happy. A few regular customers kept glancing at me, wonder when I was going to get to my limit, which, naturally, I finally did. I walked over to the table, and said, excuse me, I am sorry that you are finding the food so unpleasant. Naturally, I would never expect you to pay for dirty food, that will most likely make you sick, so your meal is on the house. I am not really in the habit of giving away food, but let me tell you, the look on her face when I spoke to her, in perfect, unaccented English, along with the knowledge that I had heard, and understood, everything she had said, was really, really worth it. The male half of the couple did toss some money on the table and they couldn't leave fast enough.

Another time, when I was downtown near the Alameda a young man walked up to me and asked me if I spoke English. Generally, I say no, but he seemed nice enough so I said "yes" at while point he launched into a tirade about Mexico and Mexicans, that I won't go into detail about, but which let me offended enough that I basically told him to go to hell and leave me alone. Very strange.

Now that I don't work downtown I don't have incidents like that, and rarely, if ever, even run into non Mexicans, aside from my Cuban, Spanish and Guatemalan neighbors.

And, Guy, I just think your post is funny, though I am sure your mother probably didn't think so.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been more embarassing has your dad said tetasitas, tetasitas.

Or did I miss something? Does mamasitas also mean titties?
notamiss

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mamacita is literally �little mother� but it is something an uninhibited dude would call a woman who is looking good to him, like �hey, baby!� or �hot mama.�
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

I took my step-father from DF to Acapulco by car many year ago, on his first visit to Mexico. When we arrived and were driving down the main strip opposite the beach, he unrolled the window and in some weird form of beach glee started shouting at all the bikini-clad women we passed with 'ay, mamasita, mamasita!' With my own mother in the back seat, it just came across as all the worse.

Guy, I once had the pleasure of meeting your step-father, and I must say he's quite a character. I can just imagine him doing shouting, "Mamacita, mamacita" from the car! How did the women react to his chivalrous quebe�ois piropos ?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isla Guapa wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

Guy, I once had the pleasure of meeting your step-father, and I must say he's quite a character. I can just imagine him doing shouting, "Mamacita, mamacita" from the car! How did the women react to his chivalrous quebe�ois piropos ?

No idea as embarrassment had me speed the car up to make a getaway Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:
Isla Guapa wrote:
Guy Courchesne wrote:

No idea as embarrassment had me speed the car up to make a getaway Wink

Were you followed by the local traffic cops and given a ticket, for the speeding, not the "mamacitas"? Does your step-father behave that way back home, I wonder . . .
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my question...why behave elsewhere where you wouldn't at home. I wondered what it would it be like if they had picked me up at the airport in Montreal one day and if I had leaned out the window and shouted at everyone "hey, how's the poutine today, Quebecker?"
Ixchel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
It would have been more embarassing has your dad said tetasitas, tetasitas.

Or did I miss something? Does mamasitas also mean titties?

As long as they shout "mamacita" and not "mamasota" at me I'm good with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: