Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaplan International Colleges / Al rowdah academy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the primary contract. Noticed something interesting:

Quote:
IAT may, from time to time, issue, amend or re-issue benefits, policies and procedures pertaining to the better conduct of its busines. It is the duty of all staff to know, abide and be governed by these policies and procedures.

Should there be a difference between this Employment Contract and the IAT's policies and procedures contained in the IAT's Human Resources Policies and Procedures Manual, the Manual will prevail.

Is that standard in the UAE?

It plainly says - your contract means nothing if we decide we want to change it because we need to.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iggyb wrote:
JIt plainly says - your contract means nothing if we decide we want to change it because we need to.

That's how I read it...

I normally worked for government institutions and thus was contract was ultimately with the Ministry... and I always assumed that meant that they could pretty much do as they want.

It is up to you if you want to trust this gang...

VS
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing I've seen has Kapland written on it. The recruiter was not Kapland and I've had no problems with them - and many of the problems I've read in this thread have to do with the recruiter.

Of course, I am no in country yet trying to find housing on the fly...

The contract is with Institute of Applied Technology and at Al Rowdah Academy in Ras Al Khaimah. And this website seems to say Kapland is Al Rowdah

http://www.kic.org.uk/pathways/what-we-do/our-colleges/al-rowdah-academy

But I don't see Ras Al Khaimah listed as a campus...Maybe the website hasn't been updated? It is easy to get lost in the alphabet soup...IAT, ADVETI, ACTVET...

And from what someone wrote above, apparently the lines of communication don't clear up sometimes even when you get to the specific schoool. But, I survived Korea - where I might be pulled from a class and put in a new one without notice. Had that happen on the fly during class hours once - removed from one classroom and placed in another with no explanation and just told to teach...

Anyway, earlier in the application process, I was told I'd be with ADVETI and teaching adults needing to improve their English to get into university. But, looking around here, it seems this Academy and IAT are for high school students.

I teach high school in the US with low motivated students in general. I spent most of my career teaching in Korea - from pre-school to adults - including Korean teachers (and doctors are not always the best patients).

So, no big deal with the change in students. I've been applying to jobs involving all ages.

I understand the ministry is hiring to fill all its institutes. And in public schools in Korea, where I just returned from, they don't tell you what level of school you'll be teaching until the end of orientation week once you are in country...

Basically, Korea has either made me - or proven that I am - flexible (can take a beating).

In a perfect world, I'd love to teach at a school near the beach in the lush tropics with a clasroom packed with technology and rows of eager students with gum drop smiles who are never misbehaved and do exactly what I want them to do...

...but my degree and training says I accept teaching American teenagers......And I've taught just about everything in ESL except straight college courses...

The only vital thing is that I get paid and not cheated.

I didn't have the first one happen at one hakwon that was going bankrupt. Didn't have the 2nd at any of the hakwons I worked at (though the cheating was usually a nickle here - a dime there - and not enough to quit). Did prefer the public schools in Korea where such nonsense didn't take place...

So, overall, despite some clear warning signs, I'll jump in with both feet here. Not head first - I at least see what could be coming.

It is late in the hiring season. I want to get my foot in the door in a new region outside East Asia. I have money in the bank to handle a worst case/need to exit situation. And my wife really wants me to start pulling down a paycheck...
lord dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your contract is, essentially, to do whatever they decide, now and at any date in the future?
iggyb

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I read it. It was pretty clear. And VS seems to say it is standard with the ministry...

At least in bad hakwons in Korea, they pretended your contract meant something.

And thankfully in Korea, over time, the Labor Board started behaving that the contracts (and country's labor laws) actually meant something - and started backing up employees.

Again, if this were in Korea, I'd pass on the contract immediately, but even with all the things I've read about Kapland here, they don't say these institutes break the primary contract terms (even if the contract says they could if they felt like it)...
lord dobbin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, best of luck whatever, and there's always an airport a taxi drive away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: