Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems getting paid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melissadawn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Problems getting paid Reply with quote

Hello. So, I'm a freelancer in Moscow. A certain "school" had hired me to teach business English at a finance company. I taught there for about five months and was dropped quite suddenly without explanation. Maybe the students were bored, or didn't want classes anymore. It happens. I've been chasing my pay for the last six weeks of the class for several months now. There's a new GM, the old DOS who actually spoke English is gone and not responding to my emails; I finally stopped by the office and was told the GM was out of town for a month. I've had my husband (a Russian) call several times and he's not getting anywhere either. Is this a daily occurrence? Given my under-the-table position here I realize I'm vulnerable to such events, but should I have insisted on pay up front or a contract?
Nexus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Have you still got paperwork from the class? I'd put together all the registers and paperwork pertaining to the classes (that prove you did the work) and any contract you had and write a formal letter to the school threatening legal action if they don't pay. Be precise about all the dates of classes, totals outstanding etc.

If they don't pay, follow it up and go to a lawyer. A single warning letter from a law firm should be enough and if you don't have any ties to the company (visa etc) you've got nothing to lose. They'd be in line for so much hassle from the authorities that it would be easier just to pay you.

Finally, please tell us which "school" you're talking about!
Foma87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine if you mentioned the 400,000 ruble fine for hiring foreigners illegally to the new GM, and made them think you were prepared to go to the authorities with evidence of your employment there, they would pay you more promptly�.
melissadawn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting advice! So, the school would get in trouble before I would? I'm here doing business visa runs- I'm eligible for the TRP but for various reasons have not had a chance to apply yet, so I don't want to jeopardize that.

I'll name the school if another call today does not solve the problem. The office is near Kurskaya...
coledavis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on a business visa isn't legal, so the threat isn't completely unilateral. I still think, however, that for the school the potential for damage is greater.
Foma87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting you actually go to the authorities; just threatening should be enough
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: