Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncaraway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Co-teachers Reply with quote

Deleted by author

Last edited by ncaraway on Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total
52skidoo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Co teacher Reply with quote

Hi, good luck with your new job.
I have been here for over ten years and had co teachers from time to time.
Each experience was different but there are some basic things you need to know.
1. Their most important role is to watch your teaching methods and everything else then report back to your boss how you doing.
2. They can help with discipline problems.
3. They are great for helping how to explain a game or other activities to the kids for the first time, in Chinese.

I had one co teacher who did absolutely nothing to help me. She just sat at her desk and prepared her classes for the afternoon and criticized my teaching because I wasn't doing it the way she thought it should be done.

On another occasion I had a great co teacher with a great attitude that was truly amazing.

Hope you get a nice one!
ncaraway

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

52skidoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome. I guess things are changing. I have never heard of doing that with a co teacher. But I guess it makes sense to the management. Lots of schools like having newbies because they can mold you to do things the way they want them done. Teachers with loads of experience are often inflexible.
So best of luck. Hope you have a good teaching experience here. Most teachers have a good first year if their managers are half way decent.
Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: * On working with co-teachers Reply with quote

Hi ncaraway,

Best wishes as you begin teaching in Taiwan.

I'd like to state that I agree with everything that 52skidoo posted.

I'm guessing that you will work with different co-teachers. Some co-teachers you will like very much for their kindness and helpfulness, while others may seem to be working against you.

Just let us know how things seem to be working out. (We can't predict exactly what will happen....)

Don't worry about your Chinese ability. In fact, it's probably better if you don't speak a single word of Chinese in class.

In fact, you will give the co-teacher "face" if you speak to her (usually a female) in English. This is not to say that it's bad to use Chinese while interacting with "local" teachers, staff, students and even the students' parents.

However, it will be preferable to speak English 98% of the time.

This may not be true if you are in a locale such as Miao-li, Ping-tung, or Chang-hwa--(these are quite rural areas, all things considered).

Hope this is not information overload. It's nearly midnight here, so please forgive me if anything is incoherent.

I'm in Texas now. I really miss Taiwan. Wish I could be there again. (I will be back someday!)

Taylor

P.S. Incidentally, practicing your Chinese with 4th and 5th graders in Taiwan will allow you to improve quickly. They are old enough to know how you should say things, but they are still child-like enough to point out your mistakes without sugar-coating anything!
ncaraway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted by author

52skidoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear things are taking shape. I can see the management's point of using the local teacher for games, on the other hand, games are a big part of any tefler's toolbag.

You are certain to face a lot of cultural differences that defy western logic. Feel free to PM me about things like that which are not job related but make a huge difference on getting by from day to day feeling good about yourself and your environment.

Best wishes.
52skidoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Taylor,
Nice post. I live in Taiwan and miss Texas, hah!
Take care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: