Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outside of the top 3, where to go?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sublime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Outside of the top 3, where to go? Reply with quote

Okay, so as September is here and the dreary dark British nights are already drawing in. I was thinking that it's time to get out of here pretty soon and maybe pop over to Spain to look for an ESL job of some description.
Assuming I don't want to go to any of the 3 big Cities Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia. Where would you guys recommend?
Seville? Granada? Malaga? Some other place?
I would consider anywhere, but to be honest I quite like the idea of being able to take in a bit of sun until the middle of October (which would probably mean the South?).
Thanks.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only taught in Madrid, but I had a few colleagues who had tried their luck in places on the coast and couldn't get many hours.

If the condition is that you want sun, Madrid is actually pretty hot in October and, even when it's cold, it's almost always sunny. If you want the coast then go for Valencia.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Valencia last year and in many ways, you really can't go wrong. If you have decent experience you'll get 15 euro an hour net and can rent a studio in the centre for 350 euro a month (you'll pay that to share a flat in Madrid/Barcelona) and with the city so compact, travel time is minimal to non existent. No farting about all day on the metro unlike Madrid or Barcelona. Add to that a much cheaper cost of living compared to the big two (menu del dia 8.50 euros) much better climate and unlike Madrid, a beach within walking distance and you're laughing. Why on earth go to Seville or Granada where you will earn less, sweat your arsse off the whole year and all without a convenient beach nearby... surely the whole point of going to Spain??
jonniboy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
If the condition is that you want sun, Madrid is actually pretty hot in October and, even when it's cold, it's almost always sunny. If you want the coast then go for Valencia.

If you want sun, you'll go to Valencia rather than Madrid. Based on sites like this

http://www.holiday-weather.com/madrid/averages/

and personal experience, Valencia has a lot more hours of sunshine. Besides, where would most people prefer to enjoy a sunny day, Retiro Park or a Mediterranean beach? Seems like a no brainer to me.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valencia is great. I spent a month there before heading to Madrid. I was just making the case for Madrid being sunny all year round. OP gave the impression that only the south was hot in October, but actually it's almost all of Spain.
Perilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard Malaga has a lot going for it (weather, action, history, location, etc.) and has the major advantage that it gets overlooked by most TEFLers and tourists. Admittedly though the question is, is there work?
Sublime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, thanks for the replies guys, but I'm not sure if my thread has been read correctly by all as I said OUTSIDE of the top 3 as in NOT Madrid, NOT Barcelona and NOT Valencia.

So Malaga then............might have to do some research, though as it's already mid September I suspect almost if not all the academy jobs to be filled.

Does anyone think it's feasible to work teaching private classes anywhere?
As for one thing I heard the wages at academies in Spain are pretty low (say 11-12e an hour) and that you could get that or more and not be restricted to an academies timetabling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: