Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment costs in Poland
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amisexy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Apartment costs in Poland Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the costs of apartments in Poland. I've been looking online, but information seems quite limited, old, contradictory and usually all three.

How much after all taxes and charges would a 1 bedroom/ studio apartment be in-
Krakow
Warsaw
Katowice
Lublin
Torun
Also how much would average bills be (Gas, electric, water)?

I'd ideally like to share an apartment. How much would a shared apartment cost?
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

You should be able to get a kawalerka for 1,500Zl all in.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: btw Reply with quote

BTW, Torun's a lovely little place. I'm in Poznan right now-it's not what it was. It's very difficult to spend less than 100Zl a day. I've done 3,000Zl in 5 days!!!!
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never cease to amaze! Razz How did you stump up that total?
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: dunno Reply with quote

Not quite sure.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pradnik Czerwony. 400zl. Sharing with a student couple plus a 45 year old drunk. Close to Aqua Park. Do not miss this opportunity.
amisexy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies guys

The thing is I stayed in Krakow during August. Three weeks, 5 minutes from the Rynek, two bedrooms and all inclusive of bills and my apartment cost 2000zl.
That would work out at around 1300zl for a room for 4 weeks, and this as I said was in Krakow city centre.
So surely somewhere like Lodz or Katowice would be much cheaper?

Also...
I personally struggled to spend more than 50 zloty on a normal day (most days it was less than 10!). Restaurants and a night out drinking never came to more than 100zl, so where your getting your figures from sharter I don't know.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: btw Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
BTW, Torun's a lovely little place. I'm in Poznan right now-it's not what it was. It's very difficult to spend less than 100Zl a day. I've done 3,000Zl in 5 days!!!!

You must spend all of your money on some blow or something, or you just walk around giving money away... either way, it's an extreme exaggeration!!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: dunno Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Not quite sure.
Wow, blowing a typical TEFLer's monthly salary (5000zl) in 5 days, you'd at least hope to have some unforgettable memories. But perhaps Dave's isn't the place for them.

I normally spend less than 40zl a day on weekdays for food, drink etc. This includes eating out 1-2 meals a day.

Once you find the cheap eats, the cost of food goes down dramatically.

The weekend days are another story. Drinks and beer in bars in Warsaw are overpriced and eat up too much of my cash.

Still, a pretty good night out can be had for less than 100zl, IMHO.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I visualise Sharter I see a male version of Paris Hilton. But more beer-y.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polish flat rental prices are pretty steep if you want any sort of comfort. There are no real cheap places to live unless you are way out there in a village or provincial town

When I left in 2010,I was paying 1,100 all inclusive for a small studio in a concrete bunker way up on the 8th floor with an elevator from the 60's and a bathroom straight out of a horror movie. This was down Katowice way.I looked at many reasonable/average flats at the time that were renting for 1,500-2,500zl.It was pretty crazy. Some of them were pretty dated but the landlords were still aiming for 1,800zl per month.

Of course there were the 500-700zl options, but these places were nasty with hardcore alcoholics milling around outside your flat door as the main door in one particularly nasty building was completely torn off and the drunks had free access to the interior. Nasty graffiti sprayed all over and broken glass was littered about.

In Poznan back in 2004,I paid 1,000 zl plus utilities for a pretty nice one bedroom place that was 8km from the center.It was wayyyy out there.

I couldn't be bothered sharing a place as an adult unless you are living with you significant other.That's for uni kids.

I'd say you should budget 1,500 -2,000 zl all inclusive for any type of reasonable flat,anywhere within walking distance of the city center.

It's going to take up a good portion of your income.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Like I said rent 1,500 a month is do-able. Living on 50zl a day lol. Took sonny to the cinema yesterday that alone was 100zl with the popcorn etc...Niku bowling the previous night was 200zl for 2 hours with eats etc. How many of you have kids in Poland? Ami...your figures are crazy...you must be blagging all your drinks. Dinner on Friday was 350 with only 1 bottle of wine. Fortunately I have a pool, so I don't pay the crazy aquapark prices.

Some of you must be backpackers....or just plain mean. I don't scour Poz for the cheapest milk bar. Struggled to spend 40Zl....my ****-it's 1 pack of fags and a pizza or 4 pints in Dragon.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading Sharter's posts on here for a number of years and I'm always struck by the incredible figures he manages to pay for stuff in Poland.

What I would say is that he obviously sees things through the eyes of a father and gives out advice as if everybody had kids. What he never seems to take into account is that the vast majority of EFL teachers in Poland do not have kids to support. Most are single people with less extravagant tastes than he seems to have.

Nobody is arguing that Poland is a good place to be if you have kids to support. But it is a good place to be if you're single and simply looking for a nice place to live and enjoy yourself.

I was there for a few years and one day I'd really like to go back. I've got no kids and no intention of having any, so I'd imagine I'll manage it.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got kids and, as Sharter says, some things are expensive. The cinema here charges 25zl for an adult or 22zl for a child. Great savings, huh? As for eating out, most decent restaurants here have main courses from 20-50zl. Sometimes the price you see is for meat only and it can be another 6-7zl for chips/potatoes and the same again for salad. Sometimes, it's all inclusive. Important to check first.

Also wine can go from 30zl a bottle (probably a 200% markup compared to supermarket prices) to 90zl for the cheapest plonk. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount to sit in a nice restaurant but not when they take the p***.

However, the main thing about having kids that I find is that going out happens very rarely compared to being single so you save by eating home cooked soup everyday with plenty of noodles to fill you up.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Erm Reply with quote

Point taken about my perspective as a dad. Things that involve kids are invariably a rip-off....don't get me started on Lego etc.

I am a bit too generous that's for sure and I do tend to spend too much time in ryneks, which are always pricy.

That said, I'm just over 40 and really can't live on hotdogs, soup and endless bread rolls. I also can't live in a rathole kamienice or share.

Even if I stopped using taxis, ate street food and drank in the dreadful 5Zl bar, I'd still struggle to spend less than 100Zl a day. Ami...less than 10Zl a day.....how pray tell as that's not even 1 kebab/2 hotdogs/a milkbar meal/2 cups of coffee??????? Unless you're unlike other people and don't need food or liquid then I'd say you were guilty of telling terminological inexactitudes.

I've moved back to Poz but work elsewhere, which explains my spending as where I work there isn't anything in the way of night/social life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: