Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language Link Yaroslavl
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njs7t3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Language Link Yaroslavl Reply with quote

I may be offered a position at this school. If anyone has any information on either the school or Yaroslavl itself I would greatly appreciate it. Also, thoughts on the offer:

Contract - 8 months, October 2012- May, 2013.

� Salary � 40,000 RUB/month + visa support, accommodation (NOT shared), reimbursement of airfare (up to $800 upon successful completion of the contract)

� Location � City of Yaroslavl (about 150 miles north-east of Moscow). Population � about 700,000.

� Working hours - 34 academic hours per week, usually 5 days a week, but sometimes 6 (on Saturdays).

� One academic hour = 45 min. Our standard lesson - 2 ac. hours.

� Our morning classes usually start at 9 a.m. Most of our evening classes start around 5 pm � 7 pm.

� Our clients � groups (not more than 10). Ages �adults and teens. Levels- from Pre-Intermediate to Advanced.

� We offer general and conversational courses of English, Business English, Test preparation courses (IELTS, TOEFL, FCE, CAE).

Thanks in advance y'all. Sasha, cole, spiral...I'm lookin' to you...
ETA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much vacation time would you get?

If you need Russian language lessons, do they offer them?

What about hidden costs? ie. utilities, gas/water, internet, phone bills, covered?
njs7t3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our Skype interview, I asked and she said the holidays were paid. She didn't specify, I didn't pry (it was my first interview). I will inquire further. I don't know Russian, so I will need lessons. I'm assuming that they're not included. I also failed to ask about what exactly "accommodations" includes. I will inquire further.
smithrn1983

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Language Link Yaroslavl Reply with quote

njs7t3 wrote:

� Salary � 40,000 RUB/month + visa support, accommodation (NOT shared), reimbursement of airfare (up to $800 upon successful completion of the contract)

� Location � City of Yaroslavl (about 150 miles north-east of Moscow). Population � about 700,000.

� Working hours - 34 academic hours per week, usually 5 days a week, but sometimes 6 (on Saturdays).

� One academic hour = 45 min. Our standard lesson - 2 ac. hours.

� Our morning classes usually start at 9 a.m. Most of our evening classes start around 5 pm � 7 pm.

� Our clients � groups (not more than 10). Ages �adults and teens. Levels- from Pre-Intermediate to Advanced.

� We offer general and conversational courses of English, Business English, Test preparation courses (IELTS, TOEFL, FCE, CAE).

Thanks in advance y'all. Sasha, cole, spiral...I'm lookin' to you...

The contract seems pretty standard for a McSchool, though I think 34 academic hours a week is a bit much for only 40000r a month. Yaroslavl is a nice place, not too big, but big enough to keep you entertained. The center is historic, but the rest is all soviet if I remember correctly.
Nexus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that.

It would be a lovely place to live. The Kremlin, central historic area and the river bank are very nice. Seems pretty lively by night as well, if that's what you like.

The contract conditions are pretty poor though and you'd have a pretty basic existence on 40 000/ month. I'm not sure how that compares with most McSchool contracts at the moment but I'm sure you could get a better deal.

Very few native speakers there though so if you did like it and wanted to stay ,you could easily carve a good niche for yourself with private students etc.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys. I couldn't do this without you. Very Happy
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Language Link Yaroslavl Reply with quote

smithrn1983 wrote:

The contract seems pretty standard for a McSchool, though I think 34 academic hours a week is a bit much for only 40000r a month. Yaroslavl is a nice place, not too big, but big enough to keep you entertained. The center is historic, but the rest is all soviet if I remember correctly.

Yaroslavl is actually quite a big city, spanning both sides of the Volga river. It has ancient Russian roots, and I think it is the Russianest of Russian cities I've been to.

I really like Yaroslavl and would jump at the chance to live there. The cost of living is much lower than Moscow/St. Pete and it has all the urban amenities one might want. Good public transit, great train access, nightlife, shopping, numerous local festivities (best Maslenitsa celebration anywhere). It also had Russia's best hockey team, the Locomotiv, until the entire team was killed in a plane crash last year. Unimaginable tragedy.

The old city center, which is quite a large area, is a dedicated UNESCO world heritage site, and very vibrant and well preserved. Yes there is quite a bit of soviet era development, but I think the vast portion of the city on the older (west side?) of the Volga river is all very livable. And there is lots of lovely countryside in the area to enjoy if one wants to leave town.

I would gladly live in Yaroslavl. It is my favorite Russian city.

~~ 40,000 rubles a month in Moscow would be penury, but I'm thinking it really might be a liveable salary for Yaroslavl. This school needs to be quizzed about housing arrangements, because if they do not provide housing assistance of some kind, this could be a real problem.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know much about Yaroslavl, though it seemed nice enough. Can't comment on the cost of living there, though I usually find that basics are nearly always the same price as in Moscow shops.

However, I think the above comments about accommodation are the key. Make sure you find out exactly what is on offer - is this a school flat? Is it rented directly by you? How much? Location? Transport links? If they just give you a realtor's telephone number or website and call that 'accommodation support', then I'd pass. You do not want to be in a situation where you have to deal with a slimey real estate agent, in a language you don't fully understand, handing out three month's rent, for a hovel miles from nowhere. And there are many crumbling hovels that command a rent that would eat up your salary.

The hours look a little high too. 6 hours on Saturday? Urgghhh. But all the rest looks fairly typical.

Good luck!
njs7t3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SashaD: I can't thank you enough for your input. I am actually hoping at this point that I get offered the job in Yaroslavl. This will sound naive, but in my heart I feel like it's a good fit, and the impression I got from the interview was quite positive. It seems like they're really trying to build a good program.

As you said, further inquiry about accommodations will be critical, and I wasn't thorough in that respect during the interview. You've given me some excellent questions to ask.

From my understanding, I won't have to teach 6 hours on Saturdays, just that some weeks I will be teaching 6 days instead of 5. In the interview she said only 2 Saturdays a month, and only for a couple of hours in the morning.
Nexus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the look of Yaroslavl (and I'm sure you've been reading all the travel articles about it as well), why not shop around and see if anyone will better that offer.

Here's another school that is recruiting: http://www.inter-lang.ru/

You could always dig around for others (much easier when you're on the ground,of course).

If you do go with a smaller school, be sure that they know what they're doing with visas. One good thing about LL is that they are experienced in employing from abroad and all the visa paperwork, setting up in country should be pretty smooth.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get the job.
Nexus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, LL in Yaroslavl? Sorry to hear it.

Keep contacting other places, I'm sure something will come up sooner or later.
njs7t3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nexus. I'm getting awfully discouraged. I really thought that getting my CELTA would finally be my ticket out of the United States. I wish that I had known about this forum before abandoning what I considered to be a worthless Master's program. I had no idea that Europe was impossible, much of Asia impossible (with one misdemeanor infraction six years ago), and Latin America impossible (unless you move there and then start looking, which in my opinion is crazy unless you're independently wealthy). Now it's even seeming like Russia is impossible unless I want to be treated like and paid like a McDonald's employee. And who wants to go to Africa?

I thought that my Bachelor's and my CELTA would be golden tickets opening up the world for me. Now I just feel like the world is giving me a golden shower. Apologies for the graphic imagery.

Nathan
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chin up there, fella. One school not offering a position is not too much to worry about. Keep plugging at it. Don't lose heart!
njs7t3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SashaD. I have an interview with BKC-IH tomorrow and another interview with Inter-Lang Yaroslavl sometime next week most likely. These are the days when my bipolar disorder really gets the best of me. I can do it, but support is key. Again, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: