Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Master's degree / University teaching in Japan.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyl2011

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Master's degree / University teaching in Japan. Reply with quote

Hi there.

I was just wondering whether a master's degree was required in order to teach at university level in Japan.

With the following qualifications, what do you consider the prospects to be?:

- BA: English literature / Italian
- MA: International Relations (Diplomacy)
- TEFL Certificate (Only 50 hours and most probably obsolete)
- About 8 months experience teaching the young ones abroad.

Thank you for the input.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the FAQ stickies. There is a ton of information there on this subject.

Also look at the JRECIN web site (either English or Japanese versions) to see ads and the requirements. With what you wrote, I'd say chances were slim.

Got any publications? They will be needed in most cases.

What age were "the young ones"? Nationality? Your age/nationality?
jyl2011

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

No publications.

I am 24 and British. As for the students I taught, it was in South Korea and they were kindergarten.

What would you say is the area I would be lacking in, experience or teaching qualifications? I mean, if I were to gain qualified teacher status or attain a CELTA / DELTA etc, would that make it more viable? Or is it about actual teaching experience at the university level, i.e: get a university job in China for a year or so and then make the transition to Japan?

Cheers.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, there is no one important thing you are lacking. Publications are incredibly important, so that would be a major lack. Having not taught at HS or higher level is another serious deficit (whether the school feels Korean students or the teaching of them is equivalent to that of Japanese is also another variable).

The subject major for your MA is also not exactly in line with most openings (see JRECIN for examples), although to some extent this may be overlooked. As they say here, case by case.

Any Japanese language skills (spoken/written)? Many unis also hope to get people who don't need much help there. Meetings, dealing with staff (accounting, reception, student services, library, facilities, computer center, etc.), and email/memos are the main communication routes that lead to problems. To what extent will depend on the school.

Quote:
Or is it about actual teaching experience at the university level, i.e: get a university job in China for a year or so and then make the transition to Japan?
China, Korea, Thailand, etc. vs. Japan universities may also pose inequalities that the administration could consider. Just because one has a year or 2 in a uni in any of those other countries does not necessarily mean Japan sees them as equivalent. Won't hurt to have such experience, but IMO just don't think it's a straightforward transfer feeling.

Last edited by Glenski on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
louislouis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What would you say is the area I would be lacking in, experience or teaching qualifications? I mean, if I were to gain qualified teacher status or attain a CELTA / DELTA etc, would that make it more viable? Or is it about actual teaching experience at the university level, i.e: get a university job in China for a year or so and then make the transition to Japan?
Well, you're lacking in all of the above + your age is a consideration. Getting a PGCE is largely irrelevant for university teaching. Get that, plus several years experience if you want to teach at international schools. CELTA/DELTA get *some* recognition, but are not held in high regard and are more specifically useful in Europe and the Middle East. Nevertheless, not bad things to have on your CV. You won't be able to teach in China, legally at least, without 2 years verifiable experience. Your qualifications, though unrelated, will not be a barrier to working in Chinese universities. Most people don't jump straight into uni teaching with scant experience, or go from Kindegarten, in either Japan or Korea; it's generally the case that unless you have a PhD or are an exceptional candidate from a well regarded uni (with some publications), you make a gradual move towards uni employment. In which case, getting some HS experience would most likely be your best bet. And as Glenski notes, there's an absolute ton of info about this here and on the relevant forums.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Golly Miss Molly! Shocked Go eay on the guy! Confused Cool
louislouis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Good Golly Miss Molly! Shocked Go eay on the guy! Confused Cool

Did I say something untrue? Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: