Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment costs in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
But it is a good place to be if you're single and simply looking for a nice place to live and enjoy yourself.

isn't that kinda code for "a good place to slag off and find chicks" ???

Quote:

That said, I'm just over 40 and really can't live on hotdogs....

Yes Poland, that is EXACTLY what parowki are.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm sat in my flat on the 10th floor, having been kept up all night by the youngsters having a balcony party next door bah humbug. My flat is 40M2 and has a balcony which is abot 10M2. My flat is fully furnished with a big LCD, DVD player, dishwasher etc and there is a big pool and sauna in the basement along with underground parking and security gates and guards. With the carpark it costs 2,300Zl/month and the only bill I have on top of that is the electricity. It took me a while to find this place. In Poznan you can find flats for 1,000Zl but you won't want to spend any time in them should you choose one. I understand why people share but as an adult I just find that option unacceptable. When you meet a nice girl, the last thing you want is a drunk flatmate bumbling around bringing all sorts of people home. It's a fact that lots of EFL teachers in Poland drink way too much. As for the figures?-Well, I guess you can live frugally but then what's the point in being in Poland if all you do is sit in your flat for the winter watching BBC World, gawking at streamed TV on your laptop. Yep, a language school like Profilingua will pay you a Zloty per minute but you won't get a full month's pay for October, December, January, February and whichever month Easter is in. Language schools then close for July, August and September. There's a lot of private work but what a hassle! Ultimately, we're all here by choice but if you're gonna come here, you should at least do it with open eyes. Poland is not an easy gig and it certainly isn't cheap. How schools like IH can pay 2k a month is beyond me as it's just exploitation pure and simple. Lots of men are here cos it's easy to pull/they've already pulled. Few women stay long. Alcohol is at the centre of much that is fun here......which is a plus by the way Wink. It's a shame getting work in Berlin is so hard because then we're talking about a cool city, cool people and a developed country. One in which 99% of the people aren't looking to get their screw out of you.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I'm sat in my flat on the 10th floor, having been kept up all night by the youngsters having a balcony party next door bah humbug. My flat is 40M2 and has a balcony which is abot 10M2. My flat is fully furnished with a big LCD, DVD player, dishwasher etc and there is a big pool and sauna in the basement along with underground parking and security gates and guards. With the carpark it costs 2,300Zl/month and the only bill I have on top of that is the electricity. It took me a while to find this place. In Poznan you can find flats for 1,000Zl but you won't want to spend any time in them should you choose one. I understand why people share but as an adult I just find that option unacceptable. When you meet a nice girl, the last thing you want is a drunk flatmate bumbling around bringing all sorts of people home. It's a fact that lots of EFL teachers in Poland drink way too much. As for the figures?-Well, I guess you can live frugally but then what's the point in being in Poland if all you do is sit in your flat for the winter watching BBC World, gawking at streamed TV on your laptop. Yep, a language school like Profilingua will pay you a Zloty per minute but you won't get a full month's pay for October, December, January, February and whichever month Easter is in. Language schools then close for July, August and September. There's a lot of private work but what a hassle! Ultimately, we're all here by choice but if you're gonna come here, you should at least do it with open eyes. Poland is not an easy gig and it certainly isn't cheap. How schools like IH can pay 2k a month is beyond me as it's just exploitation pure and simple. Lots of men are here cos it's easy to pull/they've already pulled. Few women stay long. Alcohol is at the centre of much that is fun here......which is a plus by the way Wink. It's a shame getting work in Berlin is so hard because then we're talking about a cool city, cool people and a developed country. One in which 99% of the people aren't looking to get their screw out of you.

I know what you mean about Profi-Lingua,I worked there and they pay reasonably well but with all the unpaid holidays during the year,you are probably only working 5 full months.It's hard to live on 5 months of work.The bills don't take holidays unfortunately.

Your flat in Poznan sounds good albeit a bit pricey.I've always been weary of the guarded places with security. That's always a convenient way for criminals to get on the inside.The guards and their shady pals set up plans. I remember in Asia it was always better to live in an unguarded block as they were generally safer.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

I met the neighbour this afternoon; he was still boozing and just getting a call girl delivered. You might be right about the guarded compound. That was at 4pm.

My flat is beautiful-next door is 80m2 and cost a cool million Zloty, or $320,000. Buy that on your 3k a month!!!!! Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Yep, a language school like Profilingua will pay you a Zloty per minute but you won't get a full month's pay for October, December, January, February and whichever month Easter is in. Language schools then close for July, August and September.

Or you could develop your career and get a proper job with a proper contract with proper responsibility. Quite why anyone would expect to live in a lovely flat in a lovely location while working as a bottom level teacher (and let's be honest, that's what most are) is entirely beyond me.

[quote=sharter]I've moved back to Poz but work elsewhere, which explains my spending as where I work there isn't anything in the way of night/social life.[/quote]

Most people would be happier having less money but not having to live in such a place. I'll finish work tomorrow and go straight for a beer with my friends, I'll probably do something on Friday night and there'll be a house party like always on Saturdays. I might not be rich, but at least I can always pick up the phone and go for a coffee whenever I want.

Still, respect to you - can't be an easy life shuttling between places.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

This isn't a measuring contest. I finish work and go to a beautiful beach, then gym it, then watch sat tv. I work for 42 days then get 21 off on full pay; it suits me very well.

Was out last night and despite managing to find London Pride (bottled) I've still gotta say that the pubs in Poznan are largely tosh these days. 'The Ministry of Brewing' is ok if you want to try lots of different stuff.

Am loving my new flat but I can't help feeling that although it looks nice, everything in it will break sooner rather than later.....bit like Poland really.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
This isn't a measuring contest. I finish work and go to a beautiful beach, then gym it, then watch sat tv. I work for 42 days then get 21 off on full pay; it suits me very well.

Was out last night and despite managing to find London Pride (bottled) I've still gotta say that the pubs in Poznan are largely tosh these days. 'The Ministry of Brewing' is ok if you want to try lots of different stuff.

Am loving my new flat but I can't help feeling that although it looks nice, everything in it will break sooner rather than later.....bit like Poland really.

Ahhh London Pride! Mr.Sharter,I tried that brew for the first time last week and immediately fell in love. Its (sorry but my apostrophe is not working) an amazing brew but still not easy to find here in Canuckistan. I was actually planning on purchasing a few pints for tonights episode of Corrie.

Mr.Delphian,your statement about teaching really isnt fair. I toiled for seven years with Profi and was head foreign teacher when I left. B.ED and loads of TEFL courses but was still having to adhere to Profis salary structure and yearly timetable.I advanced as far as a native speaker could within that organization. I can assure you that I was a proper teacher with a proper contract in a proper school and I was excellent at my job and took it very seriously.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Ignore him Jack...if you said the moon was round he'd say it was square. I think he talks tosh but he's welcome to his opinion.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Ignore him Jack...if you said the moon was round he'd say it was square. I think he talks tosh but he's welcome to his opinion.

Good advice! What do you think about London Pride btw...(now question mark is shagged up...lol)
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: London Pride Reply with quote

Lovely beer...the Fuller's / Gale's stuff is mostly great.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I understand why people share but as an adult I just find that option unacceptable.

I arrived in Poland in 1994 as a 34 year old. At that point, I had always shared, either with strangers, friends or girlfriends but I was given a single flat when I joined, probably in deference to my age compared to all the 22 year old graduates who were my colleagues. After a couple of months, I couldn't take it anymore and moved in to a shared flat with three of the youngsters, which continued until I moved in with my then girlfriend, now wife. Yes, they annoyed me at times, kept me awake with loud music, didn't wash up etc but I was still happier than on my own.

Everyone's different, I guess, but the single life wasn't for me. Now, as a 52 year old, maybe... hope I don't have to find out.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Some of you must be backpackers....or just plain mean. I don't scour Poz for the cheapest milk bar. Struggled to spend 40Zl....my ****-it's 1 pack of fags and a pizza or 4 pints in Dragon.

I never said 40zl was a struggle, I only said it was do-able.

Breakfast - cereal, fruit, bread and jam and a cup of coffee at home. 5zl
Lunch - kebab, pasta, or veggie food at Greenway. 10-16zl
Dinner - Asian food at a bar orientalny 10-15zl

Add another 5-8zl coffee and there's your daily calorie intake for 40zl.

I'm not saying I live like this every single day, but it's fast, tasty, pretty healthy (minus kebab) and convenient for an English teacher on the go.

If you want to spend nearly 10 times that for one meal and still complain about the crap food and service, that's your choice.

But your figures don't represent anything near what most English teachers spend (or even would want to spend) in Poland. There are far cheaper alternatives which people who are actually living and working here enjoy.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenway certainly has some very decent food for a decent price. If I lived/worked near one, I'd be tempted to eat lunch every day there - even their half portions are usually of a generous size and very, very filling.

Master Shake wrote:
But your figures don't represent anything near what most English teachers spend (or even would want to spend) in Poland. There are far cheaper alternatives which people who are actually living and working here enjoy.

And many of those alternatives are just fine. Why would I go and spend 50zl on a burger someplace pretentious when there's a great place that does great burgers for a fraction of the price? I didn't have to search for it, I found it when walking to a party one night, gave it a try and enjoyed it.

Jack Walker wrote:
Mr.Delphian,your statement about teaching really isnt fair. I toiled for seven years with Profi and was head foreign teacher when I left. B.ED and loads of TEFL courses but was still having to adhere to Profis salary structure and yearly timetable.I advanced as far as a native speaker could within that organization. I can assure you that I was a proper teacher with a proper contract in a proper school and I was excellent at my job and took it very seriously.

Did you have a proper umowa o prace with them, out of curiosity?

sharter wrote:
I finish work and go to a beautiful beach, then gym it, then watch sat tv.

I finish work, go make dinner, then think about what's next. I can do anything I want - my friends are just a phone call away when I want to do something. All the money in the world can't replace that.
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with all of the talk of how much it costs to live if you eat out, seemingly every single meal, every day, 365? Being back in the States I've realized that people (i.e. Western people) don't eat out like most people on here talk about eating out. Most people pack their lunches or eat simple food from cafeterias, food that costs not much at all. I don't live in a big city or anything but really, even eating at a milk bar or kebab every day, I don't think it's a Western way of living at all. Apparently EFL teachers in Poland are a special breed indeed, a breed which can't put some meat and cheese between two slices of bread, throw an apple and some chips (crisps) in a bag and take it to work Smile
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I do actually live here...I just work away, much like a sailor.

And Shake, 40Zl plus rent, transport, bills, the mobile and this social life at the drop of a hat would be more accurate. That changes your figure to about 80Zl a day plus any going out....that's a minimum of 2,400Zl a month. The fact that most people here are able to list exactly how they can spend or survive on a minimal amount suggests that despite the bluster, money is an issue.

I often cook at home. However, a meal out for me is not a cardboard box of tasteless noodles or a trip to Ali Baba for tortilla kebab. I'm talking a sit down with at least one course and a decent bottle of grog...y'know like we do when we're at home. And before I get the usual 'go home then' rants please remember I've been here longer than nearly everyone on the board.

I'm stunned by the 160Zl shots of Macallum or the 140Zl steaks. My medicine costs double what it costs in the UK. Kids stuff, electronic goods and clothes cost more, like for like, in Poland....it's just a fact. Therefore I think the rose tinted view some have here is a-inaccurate and b-misleading for newbies.

Moreover, we rarely mention the rigmarole that is working for many of the schools here in Poland ie the late pay, no pay, tax dodging, split shifts etc etc.

I still contend that whether we (men) like to admit it or not, we're mostly here because of the nightlife and chicks. If you're a totally average guy, you can still have a beautiful girlfriend and drink beer at the 5zl place if you so wish....ie you can extend YOUR student lifestyle (hence the absence of kids in most of you). The teaching itself is easy that's why it's rarely mentioned.

It would be interesting to do a poll (pardon the pun). Delph, Shake et al- married? kids? male? I bet the answers are; no, no, yes.

There ya go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: