Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which job would look better on my resume?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oreochicken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Which job would look better on my resume? Reply with quote

Now, let me explain that shallow subject line: I am taking MANY things into consideration as I make the decision between the two jobs I describe below. The only aspect of the decision I feel I don't know enough to judge by myself is the relative prestige of the two jobs on the eyes of future employers. This will be my first full time job post-MATESL degree, and I will likely be in it for only one year. Then I will be on the market again because my partner only has one year left on her current contract and we will be moving. Thus my concern over how each job might look to future employers.

I currently have the good fortune to get to choose between two job offers. One is a part-time ESL composition teaching position at a highly ranked (top five in the US) community college. The other is a full time ESL teaching position at an unknown private IEP located on the campus of a small private four-year university which is not well-known.

Setting aside all other factors (which, trust me, I am considering VERY carefully on my own), which of these jobs would make me more marketable in the future? I really have no sense of this, other than my suspicion that it's important to consider.

After this job I will be looking for jobs at both IEPs connected to universities and those connected with community colleges. I know that community colleges like to hire folks who already have CC experience, so something tells me the CC position might be a wiser choice since I already have university IEP experience. But will it hurt me that this CC job is not full-time? Will taking this job make future employers suspect that I wasn't "full time job" material? Will they be more wary of me? Will university IEPs shun me if I take a CC job? Is there that kind of division in the field?

Thank you for your comments. I really have no idea how I should be looking at this particular facet of my decision. I just want to maximize my future marketability to both types of future employers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is a tough question!! My first impression is that the full-time position would look better. There is so much part-time work in this business and full-time is so hard to find, that to me it would seem an advantage. (as in, wow this new grad got a full-time job right out of his MA, s/he must be gooood!)

But, if your professional goal is that you want to get into the teaching of composition, I'd take the comp job. BTW, it does seem that there are more opportunities countrywide for composition teachers - because many feel that it is too much work. Smile And you could also work it into qualifying yourself to teach 'Freshman Writing' type courses.

Just thinking out loud here Smile Could you take the full-time and do an evening comp course for the other place??

Of course, it probably doesn't make any difference at all in the long run.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: