Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: University jobs Reply with quote

Hello,

My long term aim is to work in the UAE however prior to that I am considering working at a university in Oman for a year or two to get some experience in the ME. I have been looking at university job postings and comments but I am still a little unclear about the exact requirements. It seems that most Oman universities require (with an MA) 2-3 years experience at the university level.

At the moment I have a total of three years ESL experience in Korea with 2 years at a high school and 1 year of university experience now under my belt (I am now in my 2nd year). I also have an MA in TESOL completed distance learning.

When universities say two years experience do they actually mean they require 2 years at the time of application or is it ok to be in your 2nd year and having 2 years experience on arrival? I ask as I am keen to move to the ME for greater earning potential, however the university I am at is really good and I am wondering whether I should hang here for an extra year to get a third year of experience under my belt.

Any advice on suitability then with an MA TESOL, 2 years HS experience and in my 2nd year at a university at the time of application? What about recruiting times? It seems like they begin in Feb/March time. When do they start rolling out job offers? If I leave my current university probably I need to let them know June/July time and I like to have a secure offer by then.

Thanks
FarGone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your interest in the position, as a native-speaker with teaching experience, will be enough. (Remember, that these are not universities as we know them in the West; these institutions in Oman are, largely, toward pacifying "an adult population" whose members have grown relatively wealthy due to oil money-and-are now uppity [even though they did not discover said oil, nor have they worked in the oil industry] and restive.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fargone is quite inaccurate here. While Oman has oil and has been able to develop, Omanis are for the most part far from wealthy... nor is there enough oil that they will ever be. The young people are as immature and unrealistic as the age group everywhere... quite negatively affected by the super-rich Emiratis next door. (they don't quite understand that Oman will never be able to provide the benefits that the Emiratis are getting) Omanis expect to work, and I actually had students that did work in the oil business in one of the private colleges.

Oman has always been easier to get a job than the UAE, but of course, the pay is lower. There are almost always ads on the jobs page here or elsewhere through the recruiters. The reality is that these recruiters are always hiring because they have a high turnover rate. (all the tales can be read here on the board)

A few places direct hire, SQU and a small number of private universities like University of Nizwa. (google?) Check their websites about their current openings.

A couple issues... not sure if this affects you since you have a related MA, but this year they are starting to enforce a requirement that the first degree is related (EFL or at least education). We are not yet clear on all the ramifications of this. (of course if your first degree is education, no problem) The way I read it is that since you have an MA, the rule is moot. See the current ad running at the top of the page on the jobs page for one of the recruiters. They are hiring for... yesterday.

You said that you are fine with your current job and could do another year, giving you an MA + 3 and try for the UAE. Or you could try Oman and add that last year of experience to the CV with Arabic speakers which will be looked upon more positively.

You'll have to look at what works best for you... time-wise and financially.

VS
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: University jobs Reply with quote

rossc wrote:
I have a total of three years ESL experience in Korea

When it comes to nationalism and work ethic, Omanis and Koreans are polar opposites. Good luck...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: University jobs Reply with quote

The Steakinator wrote:
rossc wrote:
I have a total of three years ESL experience in Korea

When it comes to nationalism and work ethic, Omanis and Koreans are polar opposites. Good luck...

True... couldn't be more opposite in so many ways. Not only in student skill weaknesses, but in personality. Some will prefer to teach one and some will prefer to teach the other.

Omanis are pretty much being forced to learn English because that is the language of tertiary education (rather than their native language of Arabic), while Koreans are taking it because it is perceived as a future employment benefit... not because their every university course is taught in it.

Motivation... there will be plenty of students in each group who resent having to be there. Cool Koreans may hide their opinions better than Omanis who will definitely make it clear.

VS
Sydney2002

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi OP

I have made the transition from Korea to Oman quite comfortably (via the U.S. for 2 years) and would be happy to talk to you anytime regarding my experiences with both groups.

I couldn't have said it any better than VS with regards to the comparison between Korean and Omani students. However, despite these differences, I find that there are also some notable similarities between them and these are the things that make teaching outside the western world in general so appealing to me!

Feel free to pm me anytime with questions. All the best...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: