Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salaries dropping. Are they kidding?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Salaries dropping. Are they kidding? Reply with quote

In the latest ad for Interlink (Al Yamamah Private College in Riyadh), they have changed the salary range from $35000 - 40000 US to $35000 - 38000 US. Are they kidding? They should be increasing the salary range, not decreasing it.
Albulbul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Workin' for nothin' Reply with quote

Increase it ? Why should they when posters like "usool" would be delighted to come here for nothing - just to say their prayers in the Holy of Holies in Mecca (sory "Makkah" !) where they get a post-mortem credit worth 100,000 times their prayers said elsewhere ?

Look out for a big increase in the number of Muslims recruited ! Amnd belive me some of these guys would come and work here for noithing !
usool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Dear Albulbul Reply with quote

Dear Albulbul,

Why should they when posters like "usool" would be delighted to come here for nothing

Yep I confirm that if it wasn't for my overlylarge student debt and I could afford it I would indeed do it for nothing. The chance to pray in Makkah is one that any Muslim would find hard to turn down.

From a pedagogical perspective it makes sense to have teachers who really care about their studets and their teaching environment:

Contracted expatriate teachers are less motivated to critique existing systems (Shaw 1997) and they have little impetus to innovate or initiate change. (Syed 2003).

Regards and best wishes
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Dear Albulbul Reply with quote

usool wrote:
Yep I confirm that if it wasn't for my overlylarge student debt and I could afford it I would indeed do it for nothing. The chance to pray in Makkah is one that any Muslim would find hard to turn down.

From a pedagogical perspective it makes sense to have teachers who really care about their studets and their teaching environment:

I don't see the link between wanting to pray in Makkah and really caring about one's students.

But then I'm not you.

BD
usool

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a separate point.
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it seem like everyone is picking on Usool?

Usool, I got BOTH of your points. I with the second. I aplaud your enthusiam to live in a land that the Muslims believe to be sacred, but it is not right thatemployers take advantage of Muslims and pay them close to nothing while working them like slaves (I know this was not your point, yours was that you would do it for free if you could I assume because the blessings outweigh the material wealth). See the Berlitzx adds. The Berltiz in Makkah can only hire Muslims...right? But they pay less than any other location and make you work 6 days a week!

As far as teachers with genunie interest in their students, I couldnt agree more. As for those who disagree with you (or just hate to agree with you), then be honest, can you imagine a Catholic or Jewish school hiring muslims to educate their youth?

Many of you come on this board obviously disgrutled. Your main complaint is living in an islamic environment. You want to get drunk, screw around, spread your ideals, or whatever. But you all complain about the Muslims. Does this attitude carry over in your classrooms are you all just big phonies. Makes one think of the African American slaves. Bucking and grinning in massa'a face but spitting in their lemonade behind his back. Only difference is they had no choice....you do!
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Saudi4Ever,
Well, it would appear that reason did have a short life here.

Quote:
can you imagine a Catholic or Jewish school hiring muslims to educate their youth?

Can't speak about Jewish schools (Could you elucidate on that; the only Jewish schools I can think of were "religious schools" such as "Hebrew schools?), but, having attended Catholic schools for 14 years, I can assure you that some of my teachers were Jewish and Protestant (don't think any were Muslim, but doubt there WERE many qualifed Muslim teachers in the USA that far back).

However, here's a story you might be interested in:
http://newsinfo.nd.edu/content.cfm?topicid=5185

and, from Georgetown University:

"Muslim Chaplaincy

Muslim students, faculty, and staff gather regularly for prayers and religious programs on campus. Campus Ministry�s Muslim Chaplain organizes prayer services, counsels students, and works closely with the Muslim Student Association (MSA) to plan activities.

Activities and Programming

Islam Awareness Week
Qur�an study and discussions on Islam
Ramadan dinners and Tarawih prayers
Service projects
Fall and Spring Retreats
Worship Services

Jummah (Friday) prayers
Daily prayers"

And, from my old alma mater:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:fuMtzjLQZI0J:www.bcheights.com/news/2002/02/26/Features/Islamic.Studies.Professor.Attracts.Eager.Students-190657.shtml+Muslim+faculty+members+at+Catholic+universities&hl=en

Now, a personal query:

Quote:
But you all complain about the Muslims.

While I may have "complained" about alleged Muslims (who, in my opinion, are not, due to their actions, followers of Islam at all) who are engaged in various homicidal activities (don't want to use that "T" word), I hope that I have never "complained" about Muslims in general. I quite enjoyed my 19 years in the Kingdom, made many friends there and would like to think I have more sense than to make vapid generalizations about the adherents of an entire religion based on a few bad apples.

Regards,
John
Saudi4Ever

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now John, of course I was not talking about you.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Aha Reply with quote

Dear Saudi4Ever,
Oh, OK then. As one of the very few perfect humans on this benighted planet, I do have a reputation to uphold, you know. Guess it was the

"you all" that threw me. I'm not from the South
Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi4Ever wrote:

Many of you come on this board obviously disgrutled. Your main complaint is living in an islamic environment. You want to get drunk, screw around, spread your ideals, or whatever. But you all complain about the Muslims.

Who exactly are you talking about, or to? If it's people who post on this board, please address your comments to whoever it is specifically so they/we/whoever can respond. If it's someone you know or knew somewhere else, at some other time, in some other place, as seems likely, please get a grip on yourself. You are babbling.

BD
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Salaries dropping. Are they kidding? Reply with quote

Gnome wrote:
In the latest ad for Interlink (Al Yamamah Private College in Riyadh), they have changed the salary range from $35000 - 40000 US to $35000 - 38000 US. Are they kidding? They should be increasing the salary range, not decreasing it.

Maybe they think that if anyone is foolish enough to go there, they'll be foolish enough to do it on the cheap.

BD
Jolly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dear Albulbul Reply with quote

usool wrote:

Contracted expatriate teachers are less motivated to critique existing systems (Shaw 1997) and they have little impetus to innovate or initiate change. (Syed 2003).

Man! You are quoting references?!! What in the world are you thinking or not?
foreign teacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: muslim teachers Reply with quote

It makes a lot of sense for Muslims to come and work in Saudi Arabia. It is the centre of Islam and the birthplace of the holy Prophet. What is sad, is that Saudis who employ these muslims are merely looking for cheap labour and exploit them. There are a few schools who make it clear that they want muslim teachers, but when you learn how much they are paying you understand why. Oh yes, you get that everywhere, teachers who work in a foreign country and all they do is sit and criticize the culture, religion and people of that country. If they don't like Saudi and can't stand the culture and people why don't they leave. It's so easy. All the whingers and whiners make life so gloomy. A lot of these so called Educators don't do a very good job in the classroom, all they want is the money.
foreign teacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: muslim teachers Reply with quote

It makes a lot of sense for Muslims to come and work in Saudi Arabia. It is the centre of Islam and the birthplace of the holy Prophet. What is sad, is that Saudis who employ these muslims are merely looking for cheap labour and exploit them. There are a few schools who make it clear that they want muslim teachers, but when you learn how much they are paying you understand why. Oh yes, you get that everywhere, teachers who work in a foreign country and all they do is sit and criticize the culture, religion and people of that country. If they don't like Saudi and can't stand the culture and people why don't they leave. It's so easy. All the whingers and whiners make life so gloomy. A lot of these so called Educators don't do a very good job in the classroom, all they want is the money.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: muslim teachers Reply with quote

foreign teacher wrote:
If they don't like Saudi and can't stand the culture and people why don't they leave. It's so easy. All the whingers and whiners make life so gloomy. A lot of these so called Educators don't do a very good job in the classroom, all they want is the money.

Perhaps they are simply fulfilling the wishes of God. Maybe that's part of Her plan.

Faithfully,

BD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: