Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contracts for illegal teachers -- anyone had this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkp114

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Contracts for illegal teachers -- anyone had this? Reply with quote

So as I mentioned in a post below, I got offered a teaching job at a preschool run by Amerikan Kultur Dernegi. This school seems decent and the pay is okay 2500 TL with 250 for transport.. But I'm not sure I want to do this long term and the principal keeps saying I must stay the full year until June. I have other networking and connections that I am working in the corporate field, but I know these things take time especially with work permit, so I wanted to try teaching and if I like it, just keep doing it! I do have teaching experience and experience with kids, just not my first career choice as of now. Anyway, as soon as I asked to get paid twice a month instead of once at the end of the month, as it is easier for me to budget this Way, the principal said sure but he would like me to sign a contract to ensure that I will be there until the end of June as he does not wqnt to replace teachers during the year. Now mind you, I will be "teaching" two year olds along with assistant teachers, so I don't think it's as big a deal as he is making it. But my concern is, should I be at all worried about signing a contract??

As far as I know it won't matter for him or me, since I will not have a work permit and therefore whatever conditions we put in it will not be enforceable for either of us. But still, it makes me a little nervous as I very well may wqnt to leave this job, not even necessarily for another job but just if I can't handle 15 2 year olds all day from 8:30 to 6! (yea its a long day). So I want your opinions... Has this happened to anyone before? Or does anyone know if it will be enforceable, or is he just trying to make me feel that way so I wont leave?

Thanks! Wink
Dedicated

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caveat emptor ! Any employer who is willing to break employment laws may very well be willing to play loose in other departments as well.
delal

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Seconded Reply with quote

I agree with Dedicated
As you may or may not know, AKD is a franchise. I worked for one when I first got here and signed a contract with them. It then turned out that not only did they have no intention of getting me a work permit but after a while we started to be paid in dribs and drabs. When they cut my hours to the point that I couldn't pay the rent (let alone anything else) I quit.
So? The contract was worthless with no work papers. Have a backup plan and beware...
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making a contract with someone to do something that is illegal ?
jkp114

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I agree, I need to beware and it seems so silly thqt he wants me to sign a contract that will not be enforceable. He seems to be an honest man but REALLY wants me to commit to a full school year. If you read my post, you notice I say that I do not want a work permit or an enforceable contract from the school because I intend this to be a temporary job... Yes maybe it is risky for me, but I would rather be able to leave when I want when I hopefully find a more suitable job closer to my field and more valuable to my care path, as I do not want to be a teacher but am looking for some income and activity for a month or possibly more. So, while I know I am at risk of shady business practices this is not my main concern actually... I'm sure the contract will say I am agreeing to stay until June, and my main concern is that I dont have to stay but I can leave if I don't like it or if I find something better! Even if it means I lose a month of pay... I do not want them to offer me a work permit, in fact if they do I will turn it down because that would mean I would be tied to them more permanently! Hoping to get one from my next job, hopefully in my field of training.

Thanks for your input, just wanted to make sure that no one had run into trouble breaking a contract, especially one without a work permit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: