Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a new name for Dave's
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D.O.S.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: the truth Reply with quote

Kent F. Kruhoeffer wrote:
itslatedoors said, " ... A group of us at work take great delight in laughing at the sanctimonious,tosh that comes out of some of you,especially in response to some of my more ludicrous posts ..."

Now that says it all. Laughing Do you take salt with your margarita?

Peace,
kENt

Gentlemen,

I suggest if you want to argue and
get nasty you google to find an
Asian chat room and tell every
one that you are a White guy
who's looking for an Asian
girlfriend. The nastiness of the
Asian men online will astound you.

Like the wimyn in London before
a drink or 10
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Hell,Maybe He's Not Even in Qatar... Reply with quote

So...apparently,"doors'...you have been"having all us sanctimonius types on"....a lot of people would call that trolling or just lies...So how do you expect anyone to believe ANYTHING you say? But maybe that is not important ,for a guy who gets his jollies by posting false info and "smelly turd"jokes.And for your info,a lot of the guys here at my work place are laughing at YOU...and shaking their heads.But what you are doing(trolling) has been around for awhile.If you are REALLY so happy in QATAR(IF you are REALLY in Qatar)...why do you have to post "turd jokes" on Dave's?Why not have a few more margaritas,hang out with that supermodel and smoke some of that brown rope or whatever it was that you got in Laos?
Uh,sorry,that was just a fabrication,right? Rolling Eyes
I have not heard of anyone ANYWHERE making $75000 a year teaching TESOL.no matter what their qualifications are.It might be true...but after all,WHY should we believe YOU?For all we know,it might all be lies...or maybe part lies and part truth.Apparently just another little troll trying to get his jollies.Really sad...and mainly for you....not us. Rolling Eyes
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: bnix Reply with quote

You haven't heard of it so it can't be true right?Try a direct hire contract with a marriage allowance at a major oil company in the Middle East.(I also teach less than 4 hours a day hence the time for the internet).Gotta go,I'm off to the pub...
bnix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: I Said It "Might "Be True Reply with quote

Of course,just because I never heard of a salary of $75000 does not mean that one does not exist...so hey,maybe you are getting that.You gotta admit though,with some of your tales...lies..whatever you want to call them...you do have a bit of a credibility problem.While you are off to the pub,maybe you can tell your cronies some more "stinky turd' jokes...a bar is the best place for that kind of humor(if there IS any best place)...not a public forum.And somehow,,,although you are making an "awfully"lot of money(as you informed us in a previous post)...somehow I get the feeling you are not too happy.I have taught in a couple of places in the Middle East,too(although not in Qatar,and not making 75 thou). Rolling Eyes
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Happy Reply with quote

I don't live life in the doldrums.The Middle East is a chore that's true but it's what you make of it.You spend an awful lot of money to have fun here.A single shot of brandy is about $12 and a beer is about $9 outside happy hour, ouch!! I'm off to Poland again next year.As for the credibility thing,the facts are...I am well qualified, I have 9 years experience, I have taught in England,the Czech Republic,Qatar and Poland.I have a beautiful wife.I earn a lot of money.I have a 4 year old boy.Before I was a teacher I was an options trader on the LIFFE floor,I then got requalified.Teaching for me is a lifestyle decision and a job that I enjoy.My posts on Poland are all true.Most of my posts on the general forum have been ludicrous and intentionally so.I think that some of the posters on this forum take themselves and this 'profession' far too seriously.I can't believe that some people responded seriously to the teaching in Laos post.My handle has nothing to do with an American rock band.I have no problem with North Americans, I generally find them amusing, especially when they're in Europe.I remember once translating a menu in Poland for 2 'Polish' Americans whom I later heard lamenting the state of Polish streets despite the fact that they were sitting in the 'Stare Rynek' in Poznan , a truly beautiful place several hundred years older than anything built in America.What is it with Americans?..it's like a collective identity crisis. African Americans, Irish Americans,Italian Americans...NO JUST PLAIN AMERICAN.You won't find any Norman Brits or Saxon Scots..it's just ridiculous...enough ranting..I've got a pub to get to.
arioch36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of missing anything good Slatty might say, I kind of skipped over that section.

DId I hear 35 years as an ELF ? And you can still write in ENGlish?

Pops , you are the guru ! Or can anyone top him???
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: The grouchy guru Reply with quote

Dear arioch36,
As to whether scot47 can still write in English, well, the jury's still out on that one, I believe. But as for his being the guru - that's the real deal, especially as far as Saudi Arabia is concerned. He's a one-man walking repository of experience and good advice about the Kingdom, for sure.
When he tells you something about this place, you can take it to the bank.
Regards,
John
once again

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add on the salaries thing..one of my best friends here is on the HOng Kong NET scheme and near the highest point on the scale. His salary without taking into account the gratuity at the end of two years is 76,000 US a year. I am also on the net scheme but near the bottom of the scale..!!!
M.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: ITs lat doors new name.... Reply with quote

Its late doors,

Its funny hearing continous stories about Polish Americans or Americans of all types. I love the generalizations. How many decades does a North American have to live outside America not to qualify as a stupid American? Why arent you people coming up with a new Name for this Forum? Where is the Margarita I asked for?

I find Euopean Knowledge about North America about as limited as a North American�s about Europe.....

And most Importantly. I enjoy seeing that wanker bekham and Man U losing. Unfortunately, They are on their way to the Premier title.

New title for the Daves........Dave�s Non-Job-discussion Forum.

From a stupid North American................m.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: $75,000 Reply with quote

There are not many EFL jobs anywhere paying US$6,000 a month. You might find one but I do not know where they are.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Amusing or amused? Reply with quote

Quote:
I find Euopean Knowledge about North America about as limited as a North American�s about Europe.....
- M.

I tend to agree with M. I think you'll find North Americans and Europeans who have adequate knowledge about the other side of The Pond as well as people on both sides who have quite limited knowledge of the other side.

One thing that often surprises many Europeans when they first visit North America is how far places are from each other. "You mean I can't get from New York City to Los Angeles or from Qu�bec to Vancouver in a few hours on a bus?" So you see, itslatedoors, some of us from this side of The Pond find some Europeans quite amusing, too.

Quote:
What is it with Americans?..it's like a collective identity crisis. African Americans, Irish Americans,Italian Americans...NO JUST PLAIN AMERICAN.You won't find any Norman Brits or Saxon Scots..it's just ridiculous...
- itslatedoors

The U.S. concept of identifying oneself as having more than one culture at the same time is difficult for many Europeans to fathom. They ask, "How can someone be Italian-American and American at the same time?" It makes perfect sense to us. To call something ridiculous due to lack of understanding borders on ignorance, in my opinion, in an amusing sort of way.

Best wishes from someone who's easily amused!
Smile
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer, BRDB.

For example, my father was a first-generation immigrant, and his first language wasn't English. In our family, we still followed many of the customs that were peculiar to my grandparents' native country. Hence, I have no problem identifying myself as (fill in the blank)-American.

And Europeans aren't the only ones surprised at the sheer size of the US. When I was in Japan, I had a student giving me his itinerary for a 10-day trip to the states: Start in LA, then to San Francisco, then to Orlando, then to Boston, then to New York, then to Las Vegas, back to LA to fly back to Narita.

I asked him how much sight-seeing he was planning to do on his taxi rides to and from the airport.
once again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about the name debate. I am mixed from two European nations, my wife is from one nation, and our child will be born in another..how would my child call him/herself? Not a troll message, I am really interested.
travellingscot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Nationality Reply with quote

Could be treading on dangerous ground here,but i've noticed in UK now a lot more talk of the nationality issue in relation to African and Asian descent persons born here.Some of them call themselves "British Asian" or other similar mixture which resembles the USA issue earlier in this thread.A matter i will not comment upon for what i hope are obvious reasons,being Scottish and British at the same time!!
I am also curious about this issue as i am a single male intending to work in a foreign country and perhaps finding the ladies too good to resist,so will be faced with the whole culture/relationship minefield.
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that people never stop identifying themselves with two cultures. It adds so much richness to life, when people can resect and love their "new country" , but still retain their own unique heritage. The contrast fetween Oxford and Brixton is wonderful. And in my home town, going to the Italian section for food, or fresh bread...I hope it never ends
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: