Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pan de Muertos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:09 am    Post subject: Pan de Muertos Reply with quote

I just celebrated Mexican Independence Day by enjoying some of the best chiles en nogada to be found in Mexico City! Now a friend and I ar We're looking for the best pan de muertos pesos can buy. Does anyone have a favorite bakery they can recommend? We're prepared to travel as far as Xochimilco, or anywhere else you can get to easily on public transportation.

�Mil gracias!
notamiss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In descending order, El Globo, Sanborns, even the supermarkets. My Mexican family usually gets it at the supermarkets and pronounces the bread very good.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
In descending order, El Globo, Sanborns, even the supermarkets. My Mexican family usually gets it at the supermarkets and pronounces the bread very good.

Thanks for these suggestions, but we were hoping to find some pan de muertos artesanal. Does such a thing exist here?
notamiss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn�t misunderstand you, it�s just that the supermarket and chain store pan de muertos are very, very good. I�ve had some that were prepared by people who make their own and sell them, and I didn�t find them perceptibly better. Perhaps if you found some made by a gourmet chef�
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
I didn�t misunderstand you, it�s just that the supermarket and chain store pan de muertos are very, very good. I�ve had some that were prepared by people who make their own and sell them, and I didn�t find them perceptibly better. Perhaps if you found some made by a gourmet chef�

I've had pan de muertos from Superama and they were quite tasty, at least to my non-Mexican palate Wink. I'm making this inquiry for a friend who was hoping to find something more authentic. I think I'll tell him to try the ones El Globo makes. Hmm, I wonder if pan de muertos made in a village somewhere would be what he's looking for. In any event, notamiss, thanks for all your help!
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely there will be some artesanal pan in the local markets? Here we have a special tianguis de muertos where stalls go up selling everything you will need for your alter. Flowers, candles, mole, chocolate, copal, sugar skulls, tissue paper cutouts, and mountains of pan. There are about 10 different types on offer. There must be something like that in Mexico City. Maybe in a part of the city where there are a lot of Oaxacans. If I see my husband's aunt, who lives in Los Reyes, Estado de Mexico, between now and then I will ask her. She comes every few months.

That tianguis is a very very frangrant place as you might imagine--just walking through it is one of my favorite things to do each year. It might even be worth a visit to Oaxaca...
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ther are small neighborhood bakeries all over that make small batches of bread so that it is like home made, and they will blow them all - El Globo, La Esperanza, you name it - out of the water. There is one by my house, they make maybe 20 or 25 different varieties every day, and while they have some constants, they have some variants. And, they make the best Rosca I have ever had too. I bet if you asked around in you neighborhood there is one, probably hidden away around the corner, or somewhere not terribly obvious.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Ther are small neighborhood bakeries all over that make small batches of bread so that it is like home made, and they will blow them all - El Globo, La Esperanza, you name it - out of the water. There is one by my house, they make maybe 20 or 25 different varieties every day, and while they have some constants, they have some variants. And, they make the best Rosca I have ever had too. I bet if you asked around in you neighborhood there is one, probably hidden away around the corner, or somewhere not terribly obvious.

My neighborhood doesn't have places like that, at least not anymore. Maybe my friend and I will come to your neighborhood and check out the one near your house.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long haul, but if you want to come I will tell you how to get here. I am trying to think of an area nearer you that might have such a thing. I will ask around and get back to you.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
It's a long haul, but if you want to come I will tell you how to get here. I am trying to think of an area nearer you that might have such a thing. I will ask around and get back to you.

It depends on how many different kinds of public transportation we'd have to take to get to your barrio. If you can find out about a place that's closer to my neighborhood, that would be great. Thanks, BBB.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Surely there will be some artesanal pan in the local markets? Here we have a special tianguis de muertos where stalls go up selling everything you will need for your alter. Flowers, candles, mole, chocolate, copal, sugar skulls, tissue paper cutouts, and mountains of pan. There are about 10 different types on offer. There must be something like that in Mexico City. Maybe in a part of the city where there are a lot of Oaxacans. If I see my husband's aunt, who lives in Los Reyes, Estado de Mexico, between now and then I will ask her. She comes every few months.

That tianguis is a very very frangrant place as you might imagine--just walking through it is one of my favorite things to do each year. It might even be worth a visit to Oaxaca...

There is a Tianguis de dia de muertos in el DF. The 27th to the 2nd in the Antiguo Palacio del Arzobispado at Moneda 4, in the Historic Center.
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MotherF. I've been too busy lately cranking out some copy-editing projects on my old cranky computer to have time to check out D�a de Muertos events. Maybe I'll take a break tomorrow and check this out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: