Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BILGI Salary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gorkomi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: BILGI Salary Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide if it's worth my effort to pay for a $1000 ticket to Istanbul to have an interview with Bilgi. I'm wondering what the low-end of the salary scale might be (this year), along with any allowances. I turned down a job at Beykent that was 2800 turkish lira total, all allowances included. After paying rent on my own, I wouldn't be able to save any money on that. So unless there's a big difference with Bilgi, I'll forget it. Thank you.
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have already made your mind up, do you need our opinion or comments on that one?
Why should anybody pay you more? What have you got that justifies a higher salary? You are not giving away very much here!!
gorkomi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should pay more because that is not a substantial amount of money to live on and teachers accepting such offers encourages keeping ESL teacher salaries low.

I haven't made up my mind about Bilgi because they do not disclose any offers prior to an interview. I made up my mind about Beykent. But I'm asking about Bilgi now. If Bilgi is known for having a better offer than what I perceive to be a somewhat pathetic offer, then I am more than happy to consider.

The reason that I'm asking what a "low-end" salary would be at Bilgi is because I do not want false expectations. I have a BA, a CELTA, and 7 years experience. If I'm going to spend a thousand dollars for an interview, I'd like some sort of an idea of what the salary and allowances might be.
safarer30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Bilgi's Salary Reply with quote

Two years ago, their ELP program was 4,000TL / month for a Masters. No housing, but bussing and a lunch card allowance. Paid by Garanti bank into an account you set up with the university. Don't know what's currently going on there, though, so good luck. It's never a good idea to fly into an unknown country and situation without some idea and some chance of what you're after.
gorkomi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Safarer.
gorkomi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does lunch card mean you eat at their cafeteria?
safarer30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Lunch card Reply with quote

Yes,
But the menu is varied and they have all sorts of different setups: salad bar, pizza, and Turkish meals. It used to be that your lunch card (a Garanti credit card) was topped off at the beginning of the month and it was up to you to ration your funds. Some teachers would intentionally scrimp so that they could buy stuff at other campuses (such as nicer meals, alcohol, and yes, even technological gadgets). The card could be used in campus supply shops as well as campus restaurants. This is dated information, however, and perhaps things have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: