Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Summer Camps in Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphirst

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: ESL Summer Camps in Canada Reply with quote

A little bit early with this one but I like to plan ahead.

I'm looking for a job in a Canadian Summer Camp in Summer 2013 teaching English to French-speaking Canadians.

Not sure how much market there is for that or if it pays better than general Summer Camp work out there.

Any links, suggestions or advice will be gratefully received.
flossie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: summer camps Reply with quote

The woman that i studied ESL under also runs a very successful ESL daycamp in the MIssissauga area. Here is her email:
[email protected]
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you bilingual?

If so, I would contact the local francophone school districts here in Montreal (and Quebec City, Trois-Rivieres, Sherbrooke).

School here only started 2 weeks ago so I doubt there is anything on the tables right now.

Might want to check out this list too
http://www.camps.ca/montreal_camps.php
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi, you will know better than I, but I've noticed that in Toronto, the summer camp adverts don't usually start running until at least March/April (and that's for the better-run schools; I saw them right up until June last year!).
santi84

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
santi, you will know better than I, but I've noticed that in Toronto, the summer camp adverts don't usually start running until at least March/April (and that's for the better-run schools; I saw them right up until June last year!).

Correct! Usually late April-May, when the standard municipal winter/spring programs come to an end and there's a break in between that time and the end of school.

The OP is a bit premature here. There may actually be some information on teaching winter camps in Quebec City though, I've heard of that!

But all camps here in Quebec generally require a bilingual instructor due to the ever changing language laws. Quebec is certainly an exception in the ESL/EFL world, being Anglophone is not good enough here.
sphirst

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very premature, perhaps, yes.

I need to tell my current employers whether I will stay over the Summer to teach by February so want to see if I can make alternative plans before then.

I can get by in French but certainly not enough to make me bilingual. Would that rule me out completely for a Quebec summer camp/school or just hinder my chances?

Anything ESL-based in Ontario or BC?

I appreciate the info given so far.
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sphirst wrote:
Very premature, perhaps, yes.

I need to tell my current employers whether I will stay over the Summer to teach by February so want to see if I can make alternative plans before then.

I can get by in French but certainly not enough to make me bilingual. Would that rule me out completely for a Quebec summer camp/school or just hinder my chances?

Anything ESL-based in Ontario or BC?

I appreciate the info given so far.

Passable French should be fine. You can always apply anyways, why not? My French isn't fantastic (and I live in rural Quebec!) but it's good enough. Student age may be a factor - the young kids (ie. under 12) really can't communicate well enough in English so that's when bilingualism is important. Teenagers/adults, not so much Smile

I don't know about Ontario, but I moved here from BC about a year ago. Vancouver has TONS of summer camps catering to Japanese and Korean students (some Chinese too). They are run through the school districts, the local universities, and private companies. If you are interested in expanding your search beyond the francophone community then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a position in or around Vancouver. Don't forget the Fraser Valley and the Okanagan as well.

I don't think you'll be able to secure any position before February though, sorry, that is just too early in the hiring period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: