Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartment costs in Poland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: The golden rules Reply with quote

1-Keep yer wallet in yer socks.....and keep yer socks on.

2-Treat all private language schools like human traffickers.

3-Remember that Polish girls don't act like good catholics....it's just a ruse; they are cunning, scheming and temperamental. Always keep that in the back of your mind and don't listen to your second brain as he'll say; 'screw all that she's hot you homo'.

4-Avoid single malt whiskey and Colombian marching powder or you'll do yer wages in the flash of a speeding chameleon's eyelid.

5-Avoid eating beef and lamb if you wanna live cheaply. Eat the chicken..it's cheap and injected with hormones and you'll grow *beep*.

6-Remember not to drink 50 mil shots like they're shots back home or you'll end up in a-hospital, b-the drunk tank or c- you'll become the proud father of a child born to a local prostitute named Magda. These shots are liquid roofies that change the space time continuum and make you do stuff that only happens in Vegas.

7-Maintain your own national identity. Those who go Asiatic/native invariably become complete tools.

8-Don't bother learning Polish as it's a complete waste of time.

9-Never forget why you came to Poland ie to drink beer and meet local, long-legged blond ladies called Ania of dubious virtue.

10-Always wear crocodile shoes-they make you look snappy.

Hope that cheered you all up.......boring gawking at the laptop all day innit?
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Greenway certainly has some very decent food for a decent price. If I lived/worked near one, I'd be tempted to eat lunch every day there - even their half portions are usually of a generous size and very, very filling.

Master Shake wrote:
But your figures don't represent anything near what most English teachers spend (or even would want to spend) in Poland. There are far cheaper alternatives which people who are actually living and working here enjoy.

And many of those alternatives are just fine. Why would I go and spend 50zl on a burger someplace pretentious when there's a great place that does great burgers for a fraction of the price? I didn't have to search for it, I found it when walking to a party one night, gave it a try and enjoyed it.

Jack Walker wrote:
Mr.Delphian,your statement about teaching really isnt fair. I toiled for seven years with Profi and was head foreign teacher when I left. B.ED and loads of TEFL courses but was still having to adhere to Profis salary structure and yearly timetable.I advanced as far as a native speaker could within that organization. I can assure you that I was a proper teacher with a proper contract in a proper school and I was excellent at my job and took it very seriously.

Did you have a proper umowa o prace with them, out of curiosity?

sharter wrote:
I finish work and go to a beautiful beach, then gym it, then watch sat tv.

I finish work, go make dinner, then think about what's next. I can do anything I want - my friends are just a phone call away when I want to do something. All the money in the world can't replace that.

Yes sir,I had all the proper documentation and agreements.
RL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharter - I am a lawyer in the States. About ready to give it up and do something different. Want to get the CELTA (or equivalent) so I will know what the hell I'm doing in the classroom.

Your posts make me think you are an ideal candidate for Roosh's forum. Check it out (google it) if you aren't already a member.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: hehe Reply with quote

I'll give it a gander.

With a background in law (not debarred Wink, you could do really well here in Poland. Why not apply for a law firm here. English teachingwise, there'll be demand for those skills for sure. Charge top dollar too.

I'll check out the forum in a mo after I put my ciggy out and gorge myself on Shepherd's Pie.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL:

A lawyer in the states moving to Poland to TEFL? maaaan......if that doesn't sound like a midlife crisis.....

but we understand. polish girls are hot.

any family here?
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're making lawyer-type dough, I'd recommend saving up a bit and coming over not having to rely on teaching to live. It can get a bit grueling, especially in the Winter months. You may start viewing each class as nothing more than a few more Zloty in your pocket and lose the will to "educate". I know some guys are "born to teach" but I think most would rather just drink and chase women.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:13 am    Post subject: Yep Reply with quote

Amen.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
RL:

A lawyer in the states moving to Poland to TEFL? maaaan......if that doesn't sound like a midlife crisis.....

but we understand. polish girls are hot.

any family here?

Serious midlife crisis me thinks. Expect a big negative change in lifestyle financially mate!

I hope you like pasztet drobiowa and rolls.
RL

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I don't think it's a midlife crisis, just a desire to do something different and to see a bit of the world at the same time. I'm single, have had my nose to the grindstone for quite a while. Luckily, I have invested, so I would not need to rely 100 percent on teaching. On that note, what amount of passive income is needed each month to make life a hell of a lot better over there? A grand or two? Please be realistic.

Dynow - no family in Poland. I'm 43, way too old to chase women:)! And, seriously, I'm not a big drinker.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 isn't too old! Especially if you've made at least some effort to keep yourself in shape. Enjoy yourself.

Of course it's open to debate, but I'll venture that with a thousand USD (a little over 3000 PLN) you wouldn't have to stress about basic bills and such. Depending on where you go, 1500-2000 for rent in a not-so-shabby apartment, a few hundred or so more for monthly bills, leaves a few hundred to spend. If you only have to teach for "fun and food money" it makes life a lot easier.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

$1000 will cover the flat.

Don't work in Warsaw as it's a dump. I lived there and hated it compared to other cities I've lived in and my flat there was beautiful....and near Zamek. Wroclaw, Poznan, Gdansk, Torun are nice........Krakow's full of tourists.

I'm 42-you'll have a lot of fun.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RL wrote:
I'm 43, way too old to chase women:)! And, seriously, I'm not a big drinker.

yeah yeah yeah, but in the end, there's still only one reason a guy like you chooses Poland of all countries to live and work.

i lived there long enough to know that you didn't make your decision based on the weather....or the food.....or the quality of life.....or the money.....or because you like to wear track suits and just figured you'd fit in.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i lived there long enough to know that you didn't make your decision based on the weather....or the food.....or the quality of life.....or the money.....or because you like to wear track suits and just figured you'd fit in.

Maybe the history....? Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Quote:

Maybe the history....? Smile

You smile, but actually, it's a big attraction for me. One of my interests is the study of borders and how things differ - for me, living near the old Polish-German border (and not far from the modern day one) is really worthwhile. Even the Czech/Slovak borders aren't so far away - my latest trip yielded quite a lot of interesting information Smile
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Poland is a good place to travel from. I went to Berlin, Czech Republic and Slovakia.

In Bratislava, my Polish friend asked for the Slavic national dish, which was a big piece of fatty beef with bread. Only the Zlaty Bazant (beer) was decent.
Polish food is better, although bigios has never agreed with me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: