Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ELTI GRAMEDIA UTS INSEARCH, anyone comment on it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keiblitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: ELTI GRAMEDIA UTS INSEARCH, anyone comment on it? Reply with quote

Hello
Today this job was posted on Daves
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=26753

I've zero knowledge about the teaching scene in Indonesia. Can anyone comment on this job? Salary, conditions, etc...

THankyou
I'm an 18 year veteran MA TESOL holder from Japan/Korea in university full time teaching.
Tudor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into this place about three years ago when a friend and I were job-seeking; it was a very down-at-heel, deserted school tucked away in a subrban area with dingy little classrooms. Some guy came and spoke to us briefly and said he'd be in touch. He wasn't and this is the first time I've heard their name since then, which, as I my keep my ear firmly to the ground and know a lot of teachers, suggests it's not particularly well-known in Jakarta teaching circles. Of course, that doesn't really tell you anything - it could be a great place to work, and Gramedia are a huge Indonesian company with book stores all over the country. What's more, they may have new premises elsewhere.

The salary is competitive enough - up there with the better paid language schools - although 18 days holiday is a bit on the low side. Other than that, I can't really help I'm afraid.
drandreasbrown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the cost of living in Jakarta but the wages and conditions seem pretty good, although, as was said, the holiday time is a bit low. Most schools I know offer 4-6 weeks. Apart from that, seems like a pretty good job, and I would apply myself if I could stand living in Jakarta...
geoboz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i agree with all of what has already been said, 2 issues linger. first, the ad says nothing about living arrangements. i live close to south jakarta where the rent for a decent flat can easily run 5 million rupiah or higher, but this is the average. the company may pay your year's lease for the flat and then deduct monthly charges through the duration of the contract period. so, with regard to monthly take-home pay, you're probably looking at between 10 to 11 million per month, depending on life style. second is the matter of medical insurance. companies here may offer top-of-the-line coverage to employees, but the combination of dodgy diagnosis abilities and low caps for coverage, getting seriously ill here can be life-threatening. i strongly suggest coming to indonesia with international health coverage, the kind that includes emergency evacuation, should you need to be lifted to a home-based hospital.
geoboz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i agree with all of what has already been said, 2 issues linger. first, the ad says nothing about living arrangements. i live close to south jakarta where the rent for a decent flat can easily run 5 million rupiah or higher, but this is the average. the company may pay your year's lease for the flat and then deduct monthly charges through the duration of the contract period. so, with regard to monthly take-home pay, you're probably looking at between 10 to 11 million per month, depending on life style. second is the matter of medical insurance. companies here may offer top-of-the-line coverage to employees, but the combination of dodgy diagnosis abilities and low caps for coverage, getting seriously ill here can be life-threatening. i strongly suggest coming to indonesia with international health coverage, the kind that includes emergency evacuation, should you need to be lifted to a home-based hospital.
mr fred

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can live on 15 million as long as you don't go out on the pop every night.
Housing in that area tends to be expensive but you can do better.
Google, "rumah disewa <area>". House for rent.
Remember, most locals get a lot less that offer that so local rents are cheaper than most expats get ripped off for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: