Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

things you cannot get used to
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacheratlarge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: things you cannot get used to Reply with quote

I noticed this thread in the Vietnam forum and tried a search in the Japan forum, but was unable to find anything like this.

I give 4 examples to start us off;

-people being shy to the point they do anything to avoid you (even my student running away from the uni elevator rather than ride with me down)

-people swinging their arms when walking in crowded city areas, especially when they do it while holding umbrellas

- wearing slippers inside (recently I don't like doing it, and my wife has to chide me to get me to do it inside my own house)

- people not trying to avoid running into you when trying to go straight to their destination, including when they pop out of doorways
fat_chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that I never got used to and could never wrap my head around:

--foreigners who have lived for several years in Japan and who seem eternally p!ssed off with Japan, yet are married to Japanese women, have kids, and have made no plans to leave the country.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Pitarou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll ever get used to the efficiency, reliability, and excellent value for money of Japan's postal and parcel delivery systems.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear slippers inside. Where else would I be supposed to wear carpet slippers?
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get used to people making lists like this.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-people being shy to the point they do anything to avoid you (even my student running away from the uni elevator rather than ride with me down)

I have absolutely no experience in Japan, but I do work every year with a group of students from Meiji Gakuin (Tokyo) who come to our uni for a month in the summer for an intensive course.

They're never so shy - in fact, I find that they are really eager to seek time outside of class at every opportunity, with both me and their other teachers.
I don't know how typical this is in Japan, but it happens consistently here, year after year....maybe it's the geographical distance or some other factor I can't pin down.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

I have absolutely no experience in Japan, but I do work every year with a group of students from Meiji Gakuin (Tokyo) who come to our uni for a month in the summer for an intensive course.

They're never so shy - in fact, I find that they are really eager to seek time outside of class at every opportunity, with both me and their other teachers.
I don't know how typical this is in Japan, but it happens consistently here, year after year....maybe it's the geographical distance or some other factor I can't pin down.
They would be the ones whom the system has designated as 'special' and 'with something to contribute', so I would be surprised if they weren't as eager as any other student you've ever met. I would also expect to see in them an arrogant streak more than a mile wide.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't come across as arrogant in the least; in fact, they are far too obsequious for the context, usually.
Perhaps it's because I'm in a country where most people are quite a lot above-average in height, and the Japanese students are seriously shorter Surprised Shocked Laughing
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
I don't think I'll ever get used to the efficiency, reliability, and excellent value for money of Japan's postal and parcel delivery systems.

Sad

That's one of the things I miss about Japan. They barely have a postal service here in the US. It's expensive, very limited services, and loses things all the time.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot and humis summer. Pheeeeeeeeeew! Surprised

I still try and say cool thought: Cool
Inflames

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Pitarou wrote:

Sad

That's one of the things I miss about Japan. They barely have a postal service here in the US. It's expensive, very limited services, and loses things all the time.

I agree with the last one but, when compared to the Japanese post office, USPS is actually quite cheap.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, I know that at Meiji Gakuin, Japanese English teachers have to have a TOEIC score of 940. They have two years to get at least a 940. Otherwise they are fired.
So, perhaps they are able to motivate their students to study abroad. My wife will start working there in April.

One of my former students went there. She was good at English, although she was a returnee from the USA.
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the core attitudes that I can't get used to is the idea that Japan and Japanese things are unique and not found anywhere else on Earth. Hence the assumption that foreigners can't eat rice/use chopsticks, etc.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
They don't come across as arrogant in the least; in fact, they are far too obsequious for the context, usually.
You have to witness it in their daily context, I guess.

I totally hear you about the obsequious behaviour. Now imagine them expecting it from their underlings.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japans a lovely country I can't get used to it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: