Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking your pets with you??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Taking your pets with you?? Reply with quote

So I fear I may be posting in the wrong area, but seeing as how this is technically not related to jobs, I didn't want to post it in general discussion, so here goes nothing..

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience taking their pets with them abroad or having to take them on a plane. I mean specifically having to take their dog on a really long flight. Any tips or advice for making it go as smoothly and safely as possible??

In my case, I'm considering going back to the states so I can get my 13 lb, 3 year-old mexican hairless dog and bringing her with me to Argentina (a 17 to 24 hour trip including layovers Confused).

My concerns:
1. She won't fit comfortably under the seat in a kennel
2. If she does, she will be miserable and disturb other passengers
3. If I have to put her in cargo, she could get hurt, lost, sick, etc
4. If I can't travel with her, I'll have to give her to my parents Crying or Very sad

Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My schnauzer has flown all his life, from Canada to Russia to the European continent, swum in both oceans, and in the Atlantic from both sides.

He's gone both 'cargo' (it's not where the luggage goes, it's in a special compartment under the pilots and is actually one of the quietest places on a plane) and under the seat in a bag.I prefer to take him with me.

For a novice canine, I think that with you under the seat is a better option. You can hopefully calm the dog if he/she gets nervous; basically I've been on flights with a lot of dogs and they seem to usually relax quite early on. Maybe they find the engine noise and vibration soothing, but I've never heard a dog have long-lasting jitters; and even if yours did, there would likely be a child or two on the plane who are doing the same!

For a long flight such as you are contemplating, I would break it up with at least one night somewhere. There are obvious toileting issues. If you don't want to spend a night somewhere, at least make sure that you've got long layovers; depending how big/busy the airport is, it can take quite a while to reach outside, for your dog to get his/her act together toileting in strange place, and to get back in through security.

The problem with checking your dog on such a long flight is that they will not give you the dog on layovers. He/she will be in the crate for the entire duration, and you can add at least a couple of hours for check-in and before they get him/her to the luggage area. For some reason, some airports deliver all luggage prior to dogs at the baggage area. Clearly not realizing the animals are more important and time sensitive!

If you must check the dog, you will definitely want to stop over for at least a night, so that you can get the dog. Airline staff will not take your dog out of his/her crate for toileting and they will not likely give him/her food or water, so for my dog, one 9-hour leg is about maximum before we need a stop.

Other logistics; be sure you dog is microchipped and you will need an international passport with his/her records entered by a veterinarian. Any large vet clinic should be able to supply this (they've always been free in my experience) and you will want all the pretty stamps and signatures in there that you can get. They also require a photo of the dog.

The schnauzer has done this literally almost 50 times, so if I've forgotten any details, feel free to ask....overall it's less trouble than taking a child o nsuch a flight, but it does require some organization and consideration in advance!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND

contact the airlines specifically for THEIR rules above and beyond what is required by customs and border clearance in your destination country.

spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogs obviously require an advance reservation and a ticket. You'll definitely be in communication with the airlines in advance.

Of course you wouldn't want to show up with an unnanounced passenger Shocked
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our dog is a 35lb Shiba Inu so he was unable to fly in the cabin.

When you buy an airline-specific crate, buy it a few months in advance and help the dog learn to enjoy the crate as a "haven" (nice familiar blanket with your scent, a favourite toy, treats). We did this for about 2 months prior to our move (it was only a 6 hour flight though, but the same thought applies). Take the dog for a massive walk/dog park experience prior to the flight (no matter how busy or tired you will be for that day).

We also wrote our contact information (bilingual) on the crate, as well as emergency contact information for someone at our destination (I'm not sure if this is applicable for you).

Aside from that, there is not much else you can do if the dog is flying in cargo. It will be very stressful and you will likely deal with the dog being overcome with stress leading to lots of urine/feces in the crate - so I really second spiral's idea of breaking up the flight to give your dog a break.

Of course, I would highly recommend the dog flies in the cabin if they are only 13lbs. Let's say your dog becomes annoying 3 hours in - what are they going to do? Turn around? Laughing

Finally, I also agree with spiral - the dog was the least of my worries, we brought an 11 month old human who vomited everywhere and screamed on takeoff for 45 minutes Smile The dog was far less trouble Wink
tttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Dogs obviously require an advance reservation and a ticket. You'll definitely be in communication with the airlines in advance.

It is more than just making the reservation and buying the ticket.

Airlines have specific rules and they DO VARY (sometimes widely) from airline to airline and destination to destination.

Contact them well in advance and specifically ask about their rules and regulations (they won't usually volunteer the information - even when you are booking the flight).

spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've flown quite a few different airlines and the airline rules always been quite explicit, though I agree not standardized. Some airlines won't carry certain breeds of dogs, for example, and most have some limit of numbers of animals on any given flight.
mersshroyer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the advice. It is definitely comforting hearing that you've all done this before without any problems. So many people on dog forums that I've checked out make it seem like it's a huge risk to the dog's life. I feel a little less hesitant now!

Are there any airlines anyone prefers in particular? I generally fly with united or someone in the star alliance. They mention on their site having a kennel where the dogs can run and play in Houston and Newark, but I'm not sure what the procedure is for taking dogs in there.

I've also heard very bad things about delta.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta's actually been good for me. Star Alliance is also good. I have heard an occasional negative rumour about Delta, but the 6 times we've flown them they were great.
Air Canada for trans-national flights (different story in-country), KLM, Air France, Lufthansa have all been fantastic.

Others I can't personally vouch for....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the rules like tttompatz says, if you go to the UK for example, they have to be quarantined for six months.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check the rules like tttompatz says, if you go to the UK for example, they have to be quarantined for six months.

The UK has stopped that requirement for almost all situations.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/quarantine/

The OP, however, is going to Latin America, so I doubt she's too bothered about UK regulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: