Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
posh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Cuba Reply with quote

Are there any opportunities there? I guess if there are you'll get about $20 pm like the average local, huh?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've honestly never seen any. There might be some intl school jobs or volunteer work though.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven�t seen anything either, and I have looked. I did recently hear about a friend of a friend who works for THE only international school in Cuba, but it was admittedly second hand information. Volunteer work, maybe, but I didn�t see any interest in learning English when I was there last year. So while it MIGHT be coming - some people thing once Fidel dies there is going to be a huge number of Americans suddenly flocking to Cuba. I don�t see it myself. But I could be wrong. And while Raul is somewhat more open than Fidel, and I think he will make more changes than he already has, I don�t see a total change of government either.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I haven�t seen anything either, and I have looked. I did recently hear about a friend of a friend who works for THE only international school in Cuba, but it was admittedly second hand information. So while it MIGHT be coming - some people thing once Fidel dies there is going to be a huge number of Americans suddenly flocking to Cuba. I don�t see it myself. But I could be wrong..

I would have thought the "jewel" of the Carribean would have more intl schools, but I'm hardly surprised there's only one. My uni Spanish teacher can't wait for Fidel to pass. She's been to every Caribbean island but Cuba. I agree, it's going to take a while for things to change. At least a generation after he's gone.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest she go now. There is something so unique about Cuba, with the lack of advertising, and for most people, no consumer mentality. I think once Fidel passes some of the gains of the Cuban Revolution will be something you can only read about in the history books. I am planning on going again this year, likely in December, and just wandering around different small towns for a couple of weeks. Last time I just went to Havana.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I would suggest it to her, but I lost contact with her over the years.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one thing that divides us from our American cousins it is attitudes to Cuba and the changes post 1959 ! i still find it strange that Americans are so universally and fanatically anti-Fidel !
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
If there is one thing that divides us from our American cousins it is attitudes to Cuba and the changes post 1959 ! i still find it strange that Americans are so universally and fanatically anti-Fidel !

I wouldn't say universally...in fact I bet if one took a poll, the majority would say they are either against the embargo, or that they know little to nothing about Cuba (for having been so long ago now).

I met some Americans in Cuba when I visited some years back and regularly meet people here in Mexico that go to the island.

I don't think there will be teaching jobs for us in Cuba any time soon though. It is far more common to see Cubans teaching elsewhere in Latin America under aid programs run by the Cuban government.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

You must have been speaking to the "wrong" Americans Wink. While I�m not a big fan of the Castro brothers, I recognize why the Cuban revolution happened and the good things that have come about in Cuba as a result. But I do think it's time for a change of government there. And most of my friends in the US feel more or less the same.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Not me! I am not ashamed to admit, that while I don't agree with everything Fidel has done through the years, I admire him. But Americans in general, who have, without exception, never been to Cuba, have sooooo many misconceptions about Cuba.
Lukas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the hardcore anti-Communist Cubans in Miami. They hate Fidel. And with Florida being such an important swing state, politicians need to toe the line in order to get their electoral support. Actually very similar to the situation in regard to the Jews in S. Florida and support for Israel.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what about the anti-Zionist pro-Castro lobby ?
Isla Guapa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Aren't you mixing two groups with your characterization of this lobby, if it does exist? What do you mean by anti-Zionist anyway? I'm Jewish but not a supporter of the current right-wing regime in Israel. And I'm not pro-Castro either.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am more or less pro-Castro and not a fan of the current regime in Israel.......so I hardly think that such a thing exists.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:

Maybe the key word is lobby? Most actual American people do not fit into any "lobby". If only life were that simple.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: