Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell/Mobile phones

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Hello, fellow ex-pats,

I am going to Japan soon and I have a few questions about phones.

1. I have a GSM android phone here in the US (T-Mobile). I don't think it's unlocked. Can I use it in Japan? Are the frequencies different from the US?

2. How expensive is a decent touch-screen phone in Japan?

3. What are some good telecom companies and plans in Japan? I am looking for a phone with data since I will be using Skype a lot.

4. Does Japan have the same voltage and power outlets like the US? (I forgot).

Thanks!
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
Hello, fellow ex-pats,

1. I have a GSM android phone here in the US (T-Mobile). I don't think it's unlocked. Can I use it in Japan? Are the frequencies different from the US?

You can use it, but you'll be on TMobile roaming. Which will bankrupt you in, ohhh, about a day.

If it's locked then you won't be able to connect it to a Jpns carrier. Happily, you can take the sim out and drop it into a Japanese phone, assuming you don't want to try unlocking it.

Quote:

How much do you want to spend? They range from free to Quite A Lot.

Quote:

No.

You need to spend 30 seconds putting "Voltage in Japan" into google to answer your question. Which is why I'm specifically *not* giving you the answer here. Rolling Eyes
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power outlets are 2-pronged 99% of the time in Japan.

Voltage is almost the same, and that doesn't matter. What [u]does[u] matter is the frequency, 50 Hz or 60 Hz. As G Cthulhu wrote, do a search to see what it is in various parts of the country. If you are concerned about a laptop or netbook, don't be, because they adjust for such things (look under the device to confirm). If you are concerned about clocks or hair dryers, which will operate more slowly or faster depending on the frequency, you'll just have to deal with it.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

G Cthulhu wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
Hello, fellow ex-pats,

You can use it, but you'll be on TMobile roaming. Which will bankrupt you in, ohhh, about a day.

If it's locked then you won't be able to connect it to a Jpns carrier. Happily, you can take the sim out and drop it into a Japanese phone, assuming you don't want to try unlocking it.

Quote:

How much do you want to spend? They range from free to Quite A Lot.

Quote:

No.

You need to spend 30 seconds putting "Voltage in Japan" into google to answer your question. Which is why I'm specifically *not* giving you the answer here. Rolling Eyes

1. I could try to unlock it but my I am not sure of Japan uses the same GSM frequencies as the US.

2. Decent Android with medium-small screen. Nothing too fancy.

4. Google? Do people still use that crap?
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Power outlets are 2-pronged 99% of the time in Japan.

Voltage is almost the same, and that doesn't matter. What [u]does[u] matter is the frequency, 50 Hz or 60 Hz. As G Cthulhu wrote, do a search to see what it is in various parts of the country. If you are concerned about a laptop or netbook, don't be, because they adjust for such things (look under the device to confirm). If you are concerned about clocks or hair dryers, which will operate more slowly or faster depending on the frequency, you'll just have to deal with it.

Are the prongs flat like the ones in the US or round like in Europe?
David W

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=japanese+plugs
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
Give him a break and use the internet, ok?

Quote:
Still unwilling to use the internet?
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:

Those that don't want to spend two days on eslcafe asking basic questions that google could answer in 30 seconds, yes. Idea
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
Give him a break and use the internet, ok?

Quote:
Still unwilling to use the internet?

OK. I will do a websearch for those things. Can you at least give me some info about cheap phone plans with data?

Danke Schon
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
OK. I will do a websearch for those things. Can you at least give me some info about cheap phone plans with data?
I'm sorry but I can't. I have never owned a cell phone in my life and do not try to discuss them. Other people can help. Best I can do is tell you what has already been written. Some phones (older models) will be free. Unless you get a brand new phone, it's the service plan that really bites you.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
I'm sorry but I can't. I have never owned a cell phone in my life and do not try to discuss them. Other people can help. Best I can do is tell you what has already been written. Some phones (older models) will be free. Unless you get a brand new phone, it's the service plan that really bites you.

You're never owned a cell phone? That's so old fashioned! How do you communicate?
OneJoelFifty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
Glenski wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:

You're never owned a cell phone? That's so old fashioned! How do you communicate?

By forums.

Go to the Softbank website, they have all the information in English. I can't say for sure whether it's the cheapest, but it is a common one for foreigners to go for when they arrive in Japan.
Glenski

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Alex_Ander wrote:
By talking to people, using regular phones at my home and office, by email, by planning where to meet people (and sticking to my promise), by Skype on rare occasions, etc.

I don't play computer/cell phone games.
I prefer a computer screen to a dinky cell phone screen for Internet.
I own a camera.
Alex_Ander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cell/Mobile phones Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Alex_Ander wrote:
By talking to people, using regular phones at my home and office, by email, by planning where to meet people (and sticking to my promise), by Skype on rare occasions, etc.

I don't play computer/cell phone games.
I prefer a computer screen to a dinky cell phone screen for Internet.
I own a camera.

Such a rebel Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: