Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality certification near Philly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith.colella

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Quality certification near Philly Reply with quote

Hello,

I am looking for ways to obtain a quality CELTA-level TEFL certification without spending an extended period away from my home in Philadelphia.

A bit about me:

I hope to teach in an Arabic-speaking country for a couple years for language learning and cultural experience before I start my master's. I currently teach ESL at a private school that preps international students for study at American universities (I guess it's considered tertiary). Our students are mostly Saudi. My qualifications at the time I hope to head overseas will be:

-BS Writing/Print Journalism
-BA Political Science
-1 year teaching ESL to Saudis in America
-9 months teaching ESL with Americorps (concurrently with other jobs)
-two years assistant teaching at a middle school I'm not a certified teacher)
-High intermediate speaking/reading/writing skills in formal and colloquial Arabic

I feel like my resume is solid enough to land a gig in Morocco, Egypt or Jordan but just shy of landing me a more lucrative job in KSA or Oman. I think a solid TEFL cert and some post-cert experience would put me right where I need to be for those two countries. So I'd like to get a good cert ASAP and head abroad next summer.

I cannot, however, afford to move to another city for an entire month to complete a CELTA. So, what should I do?

I've heard of distance CELTA courses, but I'm having trouble finding details. Might I complete portions online and then travel to DC or NYC for face-time? Are there reputable online certs that would let me organize a practicum in Philadelphia? Is Oxford Seminars as weak as everyone says?

Please help! Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality certification near Philly Reply with quote

keith.colella wrote:
I hope to teach in an Arabic-speaking country for a couple years for language learning and cultural experience before I start my master's. I currently teach ESL at a private school that preps international students for study at American universities (I guess it's considered tertiary). Our students are mostly Saudi.

I feel like my resume is solid enough to land a gig in Morocco, Egypt or Jordan but just shy of landing me a more lucrative job in KSA or Oman. I think a solid TEFL cert and some post-cert experience would put me right where I need to be for those two countries. So I'd like to get a good cert ASAP and head abroad next summer.

In one of your other threads, you stated you want to get in "another year of ESL teaching domestically with Berlitz." I assume they're your current employer---the private school where you're teaching Saudis. Be aware that the Berlitz method is not viewed as credible teaching experience. Some on these forums will even say "Berlitz" is a huge red flag on your resume/CV.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to post elsewhere to find a US CELTA course. I would beware of distance as the Middle East wants to see that you had supervised classroom experience with real students. As nomad says, Berlitz method is not looked upon positively - most certainly not by the CELTA people.

Normally I would tell you to save up and go do your CELTA at the British Council in Cairo. But, as you may have noticed, things are a bit unsettled in Cairo right now, although one should be able to avoid any demonstrations. It still may be your best option considering your goals.

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't post your query under "Middle East" !
keith.colella

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess I should post in the newbie or teacher training forum?

And I'm actually not working with Berlitz, another position came through with a different private language school. I imagine it would be considered credible.

Maybe I will have to spend some time in Egypt or another country to get my CELTA first, then aim for Oman/KSA a year later. Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: